ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Second Grade (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Classroom Management Must haves for second grade (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=632867)

whiteturtle 04-08-2020 02:21 PM

Must haves for second grade

I accepted a second grade position for next year after teaching K-1 for the past 20+ years. I am really excited! What are "must haves" for second grade?

- classroom setup
- books/resources for the teacher
- management tips
- books/resources for the students

Does anyone have a books they can recommend that will give a picture/description of a classroom setup that you found useful for second grade?

Thanks for any advice!

Keltikmom 04-11-2020 06:27 PM

Second grade

Youíre asking a lotLOL. But, remember: they now have two years of school and know the basic general school routines.

Second graders still love you and want to please you. They are excited but starring to be aware of how others perceive them. Remember to be funny. Second grade boys discover really stupid jokes and will tell,them as infinitum.

They respond well to quick praise.

Invest in games..they love to play math games together, read together...I found they can be surprisingly cooperative as a group.

And, because they are still only 7, they still get tired and cranky, so build in fun breaks.

whiteturtle 04-12-2020 07:20 AM

Thanks Keltikmom!

I guess I am asking a lot LOL- I'm really excited!! I think the little bit of independence they'll gain over the first graders I teach now will allow me to do so much more! Thank you for your advice!

Being on "lockdown" gives me time to search Pinterest and fill my Amazon cart with things I want for next year! This may or may not be a good thing! <!--eyebrow-->LOL

SusanTeach 04-12-2020 07:48 AM

2nd grade

Out of all the grades I've taught, 2nd grade was by far my favorite! Love the age, love the curriculum, love it all. :D

I set up my class in small groups (4-5) with a bucket in the middle of each group to have general supplies. I made sure nobody had their backs to the board.

I can't recall any particular books/resources that were helpful. We did so much online - iReady, Mobymax, Eureka (Great Minds), etc... so just find out what they use at that school and get familiar with anything that K-1 didn't use already. Also, I would talk to someone about the pacing guide and make sure you have it mapped out. If it's not mapped out for you already, do it yourself. It makes the year go so much more smoothly and you can make sure you cover all the skills.

We used the clip chart for classroom management. I know there are pros/cons to anything, but it worked for mine. At the end of the day, if they were on green they got a small treat (sticker, 1 mini marshmallow, 1 skittle, etc... - doesn't take much to please them!). If they were above green, they got 1 extra treat for each step above it. I didn't color in anything - too time consuming. I just emailed/called parents if their child was on red. If they didn't hear from me, they knew everything was good. If a child was on yellow, that was just a warning and they didn't get candy. No other consequences. That was enough.

Have a variety of reading leveled books. They can be anywhere from K-4th grade levels. I had a ton of picture books on all levels and smaller chapter books. I also did a read aloud at the end of the day, on a book higher than 2nd grade, to expose them to higher levels (like The World According to Humphrey - which they loved!!! I kept a small stuffed Humphrey nearby while I was reading).

I'll see if I can find a picture of my room set up and post it in a minute.

Congratulations!

SusanTeach 04-12-2020 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my classroom at the beginning of the year. Reading corner is to the far left. I had a "sweets" themed room.

whiteturtle 04-12-2020 08:43 AM

Thank you!

I LOVE the color scheme of your room! Thank you for sharing!!!

MAMASUZE 04-12-2020 06:17 PM

Very Social

Iíve taught 2nd grade for 27 years... They are very social. They make friends easily and for the most part, if introduced and enforced work together well in small groups. Have activities that they can learn to manipulate easily. After teaching first grade youíll know that they push the rules. Have your expectations and donít back down. Be firm but fair.

I love working with this age group. They love you and still think you know better than anyone else. Make mistakes often so that they see that itís ok to mess up. They think that they know more than me sometimes. I make a big deal about mistakes are ok. I teach math and we live by the motto:

M-mistakes
A-allow
T-thinking to
H-happen

I hope this helps.

whiteturtle 04-13-2020 04:44 AM

Thank you!

Great advice MAMASUZE! I love your M.A.T.H. motto. I might have to steal that for a bulletin board! It makes me really happy that I've heard more than one person emphasize that they are still "little."