ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Substitute Teachers (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Unemployment Screwed Up My Claim Big Time (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=636860)

NJSubteacher 06-26-2020 04:10 AM

Unemployment Screwed Up My Claim Big Time

My situation: I was initially only approved unemployment for four weeks back in March, but at a very high amount (about $700/week, plus the $600/week federal boost)

Then, I exhausted. So I called, emailed, and even got a Senator involved to help me get the 13 week extension.

Well, I finally got an email yesterday that I was sent backpay for all those weeks and also got a letter in the mail clearing me for an additional 3 weeks from today. (I assume this is part of the 13 week extension). But, then I received a phone call from DOL warning me of an error on my monetary calculation and I may have to pay back some of this money that was just released to me. Therefore, just wanted to ask you subs out there who worked almost every day, about how much per week is unemployment paying you, aside from the $600/week federal boost? I am asking this because I am trying to get an idea how much I was overpaid by unemployment before I get that dreaded notice.

TheMercenary 06-26-2020 07:41 AM

to NJSub

From the week ending March 21, through the week ending June 12, I received $198 per week plus the extra $600 per week. I am in Michigan. Our staffing agency informed us that we are not eligible for summer unemployment, as we've been given an LRA.

CC96 06-26-2020 07:57 AM

Ca

$247 week +600

NJSubteacher 06-26-2020 08:56 AM

Ok thanks. I may need to return more than half my benefits most likely. I have a phone interview in a week to figure this all out with the claims adjuster. At least they are blaming themselves for the mistake.

NJSubteacher 06-26-2020 08:57 AM

CC96, are you allowed to continue claiming during the summer?

Sublime 06-26-2020 09:09 AM

In CA I have been receiving $267 per week +600. I worked an average of 3 days per week in the last year.

NJ SUB: we've been discussing summer UI in CA and in earlier posts you will see that we believe we will not receive it during the summer because some of us have pending payments (longer than usual) and some subs have posted that EDD is questioning our eligibility for summer.

NJSubteacher 06-26-2020 09:53 AM

Thanks Sublime. I must have missed that in the thread. If I am required to return some of the money given to me, I assume I would only have to claim the money I am allowed to keep on my taxes next year?

MACMama 06-26-2020 10:35 AM

In Penna

$190/week plus $600.

CC96 06-26-2020 04:49 PM

No it

Does not look like it, as a matter of fact I am having to fight EDD for my last two weeks of UI which is totally a legitimate claim because my districts went through June 11th and 18th. Right now I am on call 12 hours a day 7 days a week waiting to hear from EDD by phone and if I donít answer, the process gets stalled.

NJSubteacher 06-26-2020 06:28 PM

The potential good news is that there may be a 2nd Federal stimulus check to be passed in July, and sent in August.

BadKitty 06-26-2020 07:28 PM

I'm getting $303/week plus $600
And as of last week, I was still able to certify, and I plan to continue doing so until they stop letting me :D (or until I'm able to work, whichever comes first)

CC96 06-26-2020 07:37 PM

Oh

I could certify, I am just having
to fight for what they owe me because my districts were still in session those weeks.

CC96 06-26-2020 07:38 PM

Hopefully

Lord knows we could use it!

broomrider 06-26-2020 08:23 PM

saw a headline today

that the $600 federal money will end a week earlier in July because people are making more money on unemployment and reluctant to return to work. Not sure how accurate that is.

Hard on those who have no jobs to return to or offers of work of any kind.

Also interesting to note that many Charter Schools have gotten federal paycheck protection plan money because they are private corporations while still receiving full funding as public schools. Double dipping at its finest.

The feds are refusing to release information on who received the money from our taxes. People found out about the charters by reading their board minutes.

Sweetsunset 06-27-2020 03:59 AM

Hi broomrider:
While the $600 boost in unemployment benefits will end sooner that expected, it isn't because UI recipients are making more money on unemployment or reluctant to to return to work, but rather due to when each state's UI weekly payout cycle ends, the CARES act was always set to end on or before July 31st;
Quote:

July 31 falls on a Friday this year, which is a problem because states typically pay out unemployment benefits on a weekly cycle that ends on Saturday or Sunday. And because of the wording of the CARES Act, that means states will end the $600 extra payments on July 25 or 26, rather than on the very last day of the month.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/26/the-...e-july-31.html
Yes it is hard, especially when it takes a CARES package like this to shed some light on the fact that American's 40 hr a week paychecks aren't really cutting it for them or their family. Peace.
<!--monarch-->

broomrider 06-27-2020 12:26 PM

seetsunset

Thanks

I saw a more recent article about the ending date for the extra money. Wondering why legislators don't know about state deadlines, extending to July 4 would have given those needing funding another week.

The headline I saw was an opinion from some people in government who think any "handouts" are inappropriate and sap the moral fibre of Americans. :(

Sweetsunset 06-27-2020 12:40 PM

broomrider:
Yes, it's unfortunate, and sadly- it will affect many Americans. :(

Bobbies 07-06-2020 01:30 PM

I am only receiving $188 a week

I am only getting $188 a week plus the additional $600! I don't know how you got approved for such a high amount unless they pay like five times as much and your state which is quite possible considering I live in one of those right-to-work Southern States.

bodhimom 07-06-2020 01:32 PM

I only get $84/week, but I didn't work very much.

NJSubteacher 07-06-2020 02:54 PM

I finally got it all settled today. Good thing I kept paystubs dating back to 2018. Unemployment called me today as expected. I had to read them every single pay stub gross amount from 2018 until now. They did determine I was overpaid by about $400 every week, and should have only received about $300/week, plus the $600 stimulus. However, instead of having to pay back the difference, I have to go the next several weeks only getting the $600 stimulus. Unemployment will automatically start paying itself back from my future claims.