ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Magnolia Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Consequences for physical violece? (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=280219)

DrivingPigeon 08-28-2010 05:48 PM

Consequences for physical violece?

I keep having back to school nightmares, and they're all related to my decision to take on the Responsive Classroom approach. In my dreams I have an entire class of out-of-control kids and I'm trying to talk them through why they are making poor choices, but they're just going crazy!

I really want to make this work. I feel like I have the morning meeting, class meeting, and closing meeting thing down. What I'm worried about is having enough time to actually talk to children about their mistakes and brainstorming natural consequences quickly.

I'm also confused with what I should do when children are violent towards one-another. Last year my students were really violent on the playground, and notes from many of my incoming students' 4K teachers say that they are very impulsive. I feel like an apology might not be enough, and I think it will take a lot of time and practice before my students can effectively do an apology of action.

What would you do for physical violence, especially with young children?

Nicki2482 08-28-2010 06:23 PM

Worry not...

I have been using RC in my classroom for 3 years now, and rest assured that my management has only gotten better using it! I'm not saying my class is ever perfect, but my class is far from out of control either. I think we all have those back-to-school dreams where students are acting crazy!

When students are violent in my classroom, I institute a logical consequence, but I also inform parents (usually via note but sometimes with a phone call). Usually my consequence is a buddy teacher time out and I explain to the student who hit that it's my job to keep everyone safe and if someone is hurting others, they need to spend some time away from our classroom getting themselves back in control. I also explain that I need to let their parents know, so they can help them make safe choices in the future. I'm not sure my approach is completely RC, but I find this approach works and it seems logical to me. I'd be interested to hear other people's ideas as well.

DrivingPigeon 08-31-2010 05:56 PM

Ok, it's making me nervous that no one else has replied!

Mrs. R :) 09-02-2010 01:39 PM

Sorry... we just started back this week. Plus, I am working on my NBC, so i am a bit pulled at the moment.

Children displaying physical violence can be tricky. I think there is no one way to deal with these behaviors. It really is more about getting to know the child. If you can find the trigger for these types of behaviors, then you can be proactive with goal setting and problem solving conferences. You need to observe and think; reflect and record. Keeping a journal is a great way to think about your students while archiving anecdotal evidence that may serve you well in the long run.

As far as the "in the moment" response; safety of the other chhildren is your priority. So, what ever your school policy for dealing with violent issues needs to be enfored. If it is a minor infraction, loss of privilege or apology of action are two ways to respond in the moment. Reminding, redirecting and reinforcing langugae will help as well.

Remember; one of the 7 Principles of the RC Approach is knowing the children we teach-individually, culturally, and developmentally-is as important as knowing the content we teach. Keep that in mind as you work with children who present some challenges.

Good luck!

peggyteach 09-04-2010 08:27 AM

In addition to the wise words said already, safety of the other children is top priority. Every school should have a crisis team that will come quickly to remove a student who is out of control. Sometimes, that is the best immediate action.
Peggy