ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   ARCHIVE (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   lakeshore learning carpet (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=75062)

D. 03-25-2008 08:18 AM

lakeshore learning carpet

Does anyone have one of these? I want to make sure it's held up over the years because they are so expensive! ($399) Also, I'm considering the one with the colored squares so each child will have a spot to sit but I'm wondering if the sqaures are big enough for second graders. Any input would be great.

City Mouse 03-25-2008 10:26 AM

I don't have one, but I wonder the same thing. I've always wanted that carpet with the squares, but I wonder if it would be big enough for bodies if I taught older grades. I teach kindergarten now, but I came from 3rd and 4th grade.
The carpet looks durable. A school near me, that I visit for in-services frequently, has them and they all still seem to be in tact.

OklahomaK 03-25-2008 04:55 PM

I have one!

I have a Lakeshore carpet and I love it! I actually got the one that was on display from the store so I got it for a cheaper price. I just got it this year but I have not seen any wear or tear on it at all, and my Kindergartners are pretty rough on it. I think it was a wonderful purchase. I have the one with bees with the alphabet around the outside and the number squares on the inside. The kids really like it too!

cvt 03-25-2008 05:35 PM

I have one too

I've had my colored squares carpet for about 12 years, and it is starting to show its age. It is much harder to clean, and the colors are beginning to fade. I can't afford a new one, but it is a great investment. My first graders easily fit, and they are not much smaller than our second graders, so I think it will be fine.

SCYSR 03-25-2008 08:23 PM

triangle with shapes

I have the triangle shaped carpet with shapes, it's fantastic! Wears very well, big enough for 6-7 year olds to sit on it. Will your school buy it for you?

KimD 03-26-2008 07:45 AM

I have a hand me down one

One of the 5th grade teachers at my school gave me the one she had in her classroom because she thought first graders would benefit more than her kids. It is still in very good shape, she'd had it for a couple of years. She said it mostly fit her kids, they did spill over the squares a bit, but if 5th graders can fit, I think 2nd graders will be ok.

I love the carpet and so do my kids!

D. 03-26-2008 09:54 AM

Thanks for the input!

I've decided to buy the colored squares. However to save $100 I'm getting the 20 squares instead of 30. I have 21 students this year, usually no more than 23 any other year. I figure that if my couch is at the back of the carpet then each day a different group sits there. Then there will be enough squares.

To answer one poster's question, yes my school will buy it, I have a $400 classroom budget and we did a class fundraiser and now I have an additional $800 to spend on "extras." It's wonderful! I also bought 2 industrial pencil sharpeners for $100 each and spent $200 on new games. :D

PPCDTeacher 03-27-2008 06:07 PM

I have had a Lakeshore carpet for about 3 years and it's still in great shape. I love mine.