ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Substitute Teachers (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Did I do the right thing? (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=491041)

3leggedtable 02-25-2014 01:10 PM

Did I do the right thing?

Today I had a boy who was very disruptive. He is the class clown.

When he went to the bathroom, I closed the door and asked the class not to react to his bad behavior. I said please don't laugh or answer any questions he screams out.

Later I wondered if I did the right thing by asking the class for help with his acting out. What are your thoughts?:confused:

Sub14 02-25-2014 02:13 PM

That depends on what you told the kids was the reason you didn't want them to do it. I sometimes tell the kids the same thing, but it's usually in the context of them possibly losing recess because of them reacting to the class clown. I sometimes say it while the class clown is present, for instance: "If I were you I wouldn't let _______ make you lose your recess time and or get written up, if you are smart you will ignore his/her bad behavior or you will be in trouble right along with him/her.

The reason I say it depends on what reason you tell them is that often kids could care less of cooperating or helping just because the behavior upsets the sub. They may react better if they know that reacting to the bad behavior is going to make them lose privileges and therefore may begin thinking the class clown isn't so funny if it means them getting in trouble.

I've seen students switch from laughing to looking angrily at the class clown and shushing them, after I started taking recess time away because of them laughing. I sometimes even say you can thank ("Insert class clown's name") for making you lose recess time, and they look at him/her with a mean look and say THANK YOU!, lol.

broomrider 02-25-2014 08:48 PM

Like always, it depends

Did your request to the class have them stop or reduce their reactions to him? If it did, you were on the right track and probably reinforcing something the regular teacher does.

I have told classes that they are not helping ________ by making him think that what he is doing is a good thing. I remind them that they are encouraging him to get into trouble. After reading the prior post, I think I'll start adding "and getting you guys into trouble, too." And begin applying consequences. Their laughter is not only reinforcing inappropriate behavior in him, but disrupting learning.

MsNobody 02-28-2014 03:31 PM

I had a similar experience in a first grade class. During story time on the carpet, two boys in particular were being extremely disruptive, and other students were watching and laughing at them. I put the story down and sent all of them back to their desks. I told them that some students were making poor choices. I explained that even if they weren't the ones doing the behaviors (such as getting up and dancing in the middle of the story) if they were laughing and encouraging that behavior, they were part of the problem. I asked them if encouraging someone to make poor choices was being a good friend. (They said No.) We talked about quietly reminding the other students to sit down, or just ignoring what the other students were doing.
I had this conversation with the two students in the room... I didn't feel like I had to shield them, since it wasn't like we were talking about a special need they had or something... I was talking about helping each other make better choices.
They actually improved a little bit after that... but the two trouble makers continued to act out.

Enseigner 03-29-2014 02:55 PM

I always do this in front of the class clown

I tell the class that when we acknowledge a bad choice someone is making we are telling them that their behavior is appropriate in the classroom. I put a LOT of emphasis on personal responsibility, I tell them ALL the time they are responsible for their own choices and behavior and no one else's. I really hate tattling.