ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (
-   Carnation Room (
-   -   Reading | Literature Can someone help me? (

cuddlebug 04-11-2010 05:34 PM

Can someone help me?
Hey - I am getting ready to start teaching my first graders to write poetry over the next 4 there a name for what poets do when they write a word in a poem so that it looks like the word? For instance, in one poem that I read which was called "Somersaults," the poet wrote only the word "somersault" like it was flipping over. Is there a specific name for this that poets do? THANK YOU!

kmob 04-12-2010 03:43 PM

picture poem?
I've always taught that poems in the shape of what they look like are picture poems (also called graphic or concrete poems). With my 4th graders we would just repeat the word over and over in the shape, for my 6th graders we would write about that topic in the shape. I found an example on-line.

How to write a picture poem (unfortunately with no examples)

Really good example of a the site has tons of other concrete poems...

rSquirrel 04-14-2010 03:11 PM

shape poem
1 Attachment(s)
someone just posted this on another post!

1956BD 04-19-2010 02:22 PM

Also called
concrete poems. :)

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.