ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Teachers' Lounge (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Snow Day! (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=642647)

eliza4one 10-26-2020 04:43 AM

Snow Day!

No remote learning, either.

I am going to enjoy my day!

kahluablast 10-26-2020 04:46 AM

Our district put out on Friday that if there was snow there would be no snowdays during remote learning. Teachers will provide content. It sure does put a damper on the weather!

I hope you have a terrific day!

3monkeys 10-26-2020 04:55 AM

We also are having a snow/ice day! Hooray! AND....we were also supposed to have P/T conferences tonight. I'm hoping that we can just reschedule by virtual conference or phone with only those parents with which we really need to conference.

2teach2 10-26-2020 06:08 AM

Snow in October??? Sounds lovely! Have a wonderful snow day!

Alicia G 10-26-2020 06:30 AM

Me too! No school. No remote. Sitting in sweats, sipping coffee. But, I do have a lot of things I could catch up on at home (bills, chores, etc) so it's not a total lazy day.

juliet4 10-26-2020 08:40 AM

Yikes

Supposed to snow here on Friday...too early!!

Aderynbach 10-26-2020 09:12 AM

Me too!

Our school said itís a ďnon- academicĒ day!
Yay! Not a total lazy day for me either (my teaching partner and I met on zoom and planned) but Iím SO thankful for the time! Also, cozy time with my pup doesnít hurt! <!--snowflake-->

Haley23 10-26-2020 09:17 AM

Ah, lucky. We have a remote day as 2020 ruined snow days as well. I was glad I didn't have to drive in the snow, but I am so sad for the end of real snow days. Luckily, today was an IEP meeting day for me, so I didn't have to switch gears with instruction. The meetings were via zoom anyway so we're just carrying on as normal. Five meetings though, so no real extra "free time" over a normal day either. This is my 30 minute lunch.

I'm very curious to hear how many kids are actually showing up for remote learning. On our most recent work day, I made a day of "snow day plans" that were just review so that I could pull them out and not have to plan anything extra at the last minute. Many of our teachers are driving themselves crazy trying to do a "regular" day teaching what they would have in person, with notice given at 11 PM. Nope, not doing it.

eliza4one 10-26-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Many of our teachers are driving themselves crazy trying to do a "regular" day teaching what they would have in person, with notice given at 11 PM. Nope, not doing it.
Agree! I can see some teachers at my school trying to do that, too, if our snow days turned to remote teaching days! Even our E-Learners have a snow day...
which surprised me, but it's only fair.

I am very thankful our snow days are true snow days. Not sure how long that will last...but I'll enjoy it while I can!

Sorry your day is a "normal" day. Meetings are def. better than trying to do instruction!

I haven't ventured out, yet. Good day to just stay inside!

checkerjane 10-26-2020 10:59 AM

We have a snow day as well, but are virtual. I think with virtual learning being so common place now, snow days will never be the same. :(
However, if virtual keeps teachers from having to go in on snow days, itís worth it.

Teacherbee_4 10-26-2020 02:24 PM

Wow!

Wow! That's an early one! How much snow did you get? We got a dusting. You could still see the grass. It looked very beautiful, but it's all melted now. Roads were fine.

I'm glad you got a snow day with no virtual learning, too! That's always nice! What a great Monday surprise!

eliza4one 10-26-2020 03:48 PM

Snow varied, depending on where you live. (Huge district, square milage wise).

We got about 6 inches. Others got up to 12 inches.

Yes, very nice Monday a.m. surprise. Especially because I didn't go to sleep expecting one!!!

kahluablast 10-26-2020 05:12 PM

We had a high of 17 degrees today after almost 70 yesterday! Snowed all day after a lot of sleeting overnight but no real accumulation. Really started accumulating around 3 this afternoon. It will be fun to see what we have in the morning. Got a message from the principal that the building will be closed tomorrow and we were to teach from home. I don't know if I can do that (bandwidth). I will see what happens.