ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Magnolia Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Book Study/Magnolia Room "Virtual Morning Meeting" (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=273796)

happygirl444 08-11-2010 05:51 AM

Book Study/Magnolia Room "Virtual Morning Meeting"

Hahaha...so I realize how little I know about each of you and how I wish we cool gals could get together to do a Morning Meeting together. So...how about we do a "Virtual Morning Meeting" to get to know each other??? :) It could be fun!

So...I thought we could do:

Greeting: greet someone on the board and say something you notice

Sharing: share a favorite thing you've done so far this summer

Activity: 2 truths and a lie (and you can share your lie after a few posts). Share two statements that are true and one that is a lie and we'll try to guess (in our minds anyway, which is the false one).

What do you think? I think it would be fun!! We'll see how the response is though...;)

Our message:

Dear Enthusiastic Educators,

This board certainly has been busy this summer! We are learning so much from each other and so many great discussions are happening. What is one thing you want to change about your teaching for the fall or one thing you want to keep doing for the fall?

Sincerely,
A Grateful Participant

happygirl444 08-11-2010 06:11 AM

Greeting:

"Good morning, Jule! I see you are up early posting."

Sharing:

I went to my friend's wedding earlier this summer in Florida. It was a wonderful time because I got together with all of my roommates from college. We went to a small Catholic college in Pennsylvania so we were very close and had so many fun times. Well, we picked up right where we left off. I know from this that we'll always be great friends.

Activity:

I teach first grade in Pennsylvania at a small rural school. :)

I am afraid of flying and heights. :)

I took care of my grandmother who suffered from dementia for several years. She ate bacon, eggs, and tasty kakes every day. :)

One thing I want to keep making sure I do is getting to know each child individually but I really want to focus on observing a little each day. I think I miss some things when I am so focused on teaching and interacting all day.

mobleya 08-11-2010 07:19 AM

response

Greeting:

"Good Morning Happy Girl! I'm new to RC and appreciate all of your thoughts and insights!"

Sharing:

I went back to NC for almost 2 weeks to visit with family, friends, and my niece who is just 10 weeks old. I so enjoyed my time with this little girl. I spent a few days at the beach with my mom and cherish that time I got to spend with her.

Activity:

I was on the wrestling team in high school.

I teach 2nd grade in a small school in Iowa.

I've been training for half marathons for a little over a year.

Since I will be implementing RC for the first time this fall, I want to make sure that I take it slow. I haven't been to any training, since none is offered near me and I am the only teacher in my building trying this for the first time. I actually had never heard about RC until I saw this room on pt! I sat down with my principal just yesterday after reading The Morning Meeting book, Classroom Spaces that Work, and The First Six Weeks. She's very excited about me trying this out!

kinderteachnc 08-11-2010 07:40 AM

Greeting: Good Morning Mobleya. I am also new to RC and Morning Meeting. I hope you have a great day!:)

Sharing: Well it has been a busy summer for me. My daughter graduated in May with her teaching degree and is looking for a job. While she was doing this she was also planning a wedding and was married July 31. My husband is now home everyday after 11 years of driving a truck over the road. I have a new wonderful son-in-law.

Activity: I was born and raised in Florida

I used to ride dirt bikes and dune buggies

I go rock climbing as much as possible

Message: I think this is a fun idea! It gives those of us that are new to morning meeting a chance to be part of one and see what it is like. I hope others respond too.

Mrs. R :) 08-11-2010 09:57 AM

I'm in!

Good Afternoon, kinderteachnc. i notice that you are new to the Responsive Classroom Approach!

My favorite thing I've done this summer, professionally speaking, is becoming a Responsive Classroom Certified Consulting Teacher! It was a long journey and I am very proud of my accomplishment.

I have 5 children.

I have been married 15 years.

I have a Scottie named Maisie, whom I adore.

I'd like to get better at using one-on-one conferring during Daily 5 to inform instruction and move away from a strong reliance on Guided Reading Groups.

damarnfl 08-11-2010 12:50 PM

Great idea!

Greeting: Good Afternoon, Mrs. R. I, and I'm sure others, really appreciate all your comments and help while we're learning about RC

Sharing: I got a new puppy at the beginning of July and I've really enjoyed getting to know her and teach her new things. I love her enthusiastic exploring of things that are new.

Activity:

I live in Alberta, Canada.
I own a cigar business.
I hate football.

Message: One thing I'm really looking forward to in my teaching this fall is beginning to use the RC approach and seeing the difference in my classroom and my teaching style. I'm really excited!

Jule 08-11-2010 01:12 PM

Hi Damarnifl

Greeting: I noticed that you have an interesting user name.

Sharing: Personally, I went home to a high school reunion and a day with two friends who lived on my block growing up. We went back to the old neighborhood and took a tour of our elementary school where we were the in the very first class when they opened - many, many, many years ago. The whole weekend was amazing.

Professionally - RC1 - of course.

Activity:
I walk to work.
I'm a grandma.
I'm afraid of FaceBook.

Message: I'm hoping many things will change. Besides wanting to successfully implement RC, I definitely want to be better organizied and NOT PLAN MORE THAN I CAN POSSIBLE ACCOMPLISH.

This IS fun!

Eli2 08-12-2010 08:09 AM

Virtual Morning Meeting

Hello Everybody!
I had a great summer though, as usual, it was too short. I still have a couple of weeks before I head back to work but I'll be sorry to see the summer end. My youngest daughter heads back to college in less than 10 days and I will miss her a lot. That's what's on my mind right now.

Three truths and a lie:
I love teaching and learning.
I am working on my EdD.
I was born in Canada.

I am looking forward to slowing down my reading over the next couple of weeks in order to do some reflecting and planning before it all seems a blur again.
Cheers!

goobers51 08-14-2010 04:23 PM

Virtual Morning Meeting

Hello, Eli2! I notice you are a bit sad and anxious about your daughter going back to school...hang in there!

I just returned from visiting my father in the beautiful state of Vermont. It is such a relaxing, slow-down kind of time. I'm rejuvenated!

I just became a grandma!
We have a wedding coming up in the fall.
I'm looking forward to the craziness of the school year.

This was a good idea!! I'm changing from a 1/2 to a first grade in a brand new school. PT has helped me tremendously focus on what first graders need!

TeacherBB 08-14-2010 07:29 PM

Good Evening Everyone in the Great Magnolia Room,!!! I see lots of enthusiastic teachers here who are willing to study about RC.

Sharing: I loved being able to hang around today in my sweatpants! Such a glorious day today. Fall is definitely coming and I am very excited to start school with my newly-learned RC practices. I would have to say the best thing I did this summer was going to Dennisport, MA with my family. We had an amazing vacation full of sun, sand, ocean, seafood, ice cream, kayaks and more!

Activity: I have been married for 12 yrs.
My boys are six and seven yrs old.
I went skydiving this summer.

Message Response: One thing I have to change is how I speak to the studetns. Teacher language is so powerful. I am going to pay more attention to it. I am also going to change how I do Time Out and make sure that each day starts with a great MM. (that's more than one...oops)
I am going to keep doing MM and cultivating my readers and writers! I am also going to keep working my best to help kids!

stretchberry 08-15-2010 06:41 AM

I hope a virtual meeting can last for several days. :)

Greeting: Hi, Tatum. I noticed, from the kayaking and use of exclamation points ;), that you seem very upbeat, active, and positive.

Sharing: Favorite things this summer
  • Personal: Went on vacation and stayed in a fabulous hotel with family
  • Professional: Starting cataloging all my books on LibraryThing
Activity: 2 truths and a lie
  • I love the Sookie Stackhouse books and have read them all several times.
  • For the first 6 years of teaching, I changed classrooms every year.
  • I am two classes away from earning a master's degree.
Message: I started MM last year but gave it up after a while. This year, I want to make a renewed commitment to MM. I want to be more proactive and direct in teaching conflict resolution skills to my students. I am planning to do the 14 lessons in this book to help with that.

Eli2 08-15-2010 10:17 AM

Thanks

goobers51 for the words of encouragement. I have to remember what it felt like to be her age and then it's not so difficult to let her go.

SGavin 08-30-2010 03:11 PM

Stretchberry...

Greeting: Stretchberry
I noticed that your Icon/Avatar reminds me of my new group of Kindergarteners.... happy, bright, and jumping all over the place!

Share:

Well now that summer is over, and I just came across this post, I figured I would try to add on to it! During the summer though I enjoyed visiting Las Vegas and planning my wedding... the two were not related in the slightest :)

I teach Kindergarten in a suburban area in central Virginia. My class has 16 students (everyone else has 18 I think... lucky me), and so far they have been doing great with the first 6 weeks of school... with a couple of exceptions ;)

Activity:

1) I was proposed to in my own classroom during Kindergarten Graduation
2) I love, love, LOVE cheese and eat it every chance I can!
3) I have three cats and fearful that I am turning into a crazy cat lady at 25!

This year I really want to work on better implementing the strategies I learned in RC II to handle peer conflict, logical consequences, and academic choice. I feel like I can never have too much practice or advice on administering logical consequences!!!