ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Fourth Grade (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mathematics Desperately seeking help in teaching 4th grade math curriculum! (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=617586)

K12ENLTeacher 04-07-2019 05:51 AM

Desperately seeking help in teaching 4th grade math curriculum!

Dear 4th grade teachers,

I need help! This coming school year I will be teaching 4th grade in a dual language program. I am not new to DL program as I have been teaching K-3 DL program. However, teaching 4th grade is a first for me. I am most scared of teaching math! I just looked at the CCSS for math and am ready to hang myself. I did well teaching math in lower grades, but this time it all looks so overwhelming! I am sure I will be able to plan with my future grade team, but I am still going nuts about it. Therefore, I was hoping to get an early start. Here is where I need your help so desperately!

1. What are some resources would you recommend to help me familiarize myself with 4th grade math curriculum?
2. Any tips/pointers for easy transition to teaching 4th grade math curriculum?
3. Any webinars ( hopefully free ones) I can attend to help me learn about 4th grade math curriculum?
4. Ideas for strategy lessons (for small group work) that you can suggest?
5. Anything else that you think I may benefit from.

I would very much appreciate any help I can get!

Best regards,

K12ENL teacher

SteelerFan 04-07-2019 09:52 AM

Welcome to 4th grade!

If you have experience with 3rd grade math, then 4th grade will be a natural transition. Think of your K-3 knowledge as the foundation for the grade 4 - you have some very valuable knowledge to work from.
Suggestions:
1. Look to your favorite K-3 math resources for the 4th grade level resources. These may direct you to your new favorites for 4th grade math.
2. Small group rotations in math are manageable. My former coteacher did it this way: Whole group short lesson, station 1 - small group with teacher for guided practice, station 2 - related fact practice, station 3 - independent skill practice.
3. Daily 3 for math (Like Daily 5 for reading) This is where my coteacher got ideas for #2.

K12ENLTeacher 04-07-2019 10:52 AM

Thank you!

KetchupChips 04-07-2019 12:58 PM

Youíve got this!

Some great advice already given. Take a deep breath and trust in yourself. You can do this. Some suggestions...

1. See if there is an extra teacherís guide around. If not, is there anywhere in your district that you can borrow one?

2. If the above doesnít pan out, borrow the teacherís guide from a current teacher and make a copy of the first unit. This will help you get started. Then take the teacherís guide home over the summer.

3. Khan Academy has great math videos online. Check them out.

Good luck!

Linda/OH 04-08-2019 01:48 AM

4th grade

Congrats! Find out the math textbook the school uses. There are usually many resources that accompany. Ours is Go Math and there are videos, games, etc. You may have all of your lessons and units planned for you.
If not, Youtube can be your friend LOL There are videos for everything!
Use the summer to research and get comfortable with the standards.
Best of luck to you. Check back here for more ideas as you go.

MissAgnes 04-10-2019 03:37 PM

I've taught 4th for 4 years.

I have to second all the information you've been given here.
Also, achievethecore.org has a coherence map that shows progression of concepts and standards from one year to the next. It's a great way to see how everything fits together.
We use GoMath, and I spend time going to the 3rd and 5th resources so that I can see where my kids are coming from, and where they need to go.
In the past (not so much this year) I have used math rotations like someone else mentioned. I taught a whole group mini lesson, then had rotations for math skills (MathWhizz), number sense activities, small group instruction (with me), and focused practice.
You can do it!

K12ENLTeacher 04-11-2019 07:46 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!!!