ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Books, Guided Reading & Literature (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Language Arts | Writing Close Reading (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=434507)

char123 10-21-2012 08:24 AM

Close Reading

My state is adapting Common Core. I would like to know if anyone has some good close reading lessons for 4th and 5th grade. I am a bit lost on getting started. Thanks

phaugli 01-02-2013 11:45 AM

close reads

Hi Char,
Have you checked engageny.org? I teach 6th grade, so our close reads may be too hard. I don't know how to attach a file, so I copy and pasted my close read for Old Yeller. You can use your own text and insert your questions. The steps are pretty much the same. I hope this helps.
Penny

Close Read Instructions
Day One
1. Students read the entire text piece to themselves.
2. Teacher reads the same piece out loud for the students (modeling intonation, stopping for punctuation, etc).
3. Students silently re-read first two paragraphs.
4. With a partner students “translate” (summarize) these first two paragraphs into their own words and choose one person to share what they came up with.
5. Pairs share their ideas with the rest of the class.
6. Teacher hands out guiding questions, to each pair, on the first two paragraphs. Pairs discuss and the recorder writes answers on paper.
7. Pairs share what they have discussed with the teacher and the rest of the class.
8. After discussing each answer, students revise their answers based on teacher and student discussion and response.
Day 1 Guiding Questions
1. What is the mood of the first two paragraphs? Find evidence from the text that reflects the mood of the family on the day Papa left.
2. The author writes “I wasn’t about to cry. I was fourteen years old, pretty near a grown man. I stood back and didn’t let on for a minute that I wanted to cry.” What evidence is there that explains why the author wrote this?

Day Two
1. Teacher reads the text to students they read the previous class.
2. Students silently re-read paragraphs 3 through the end of the first section.
3. Teacher reads this section aloud to students.
4. Students are given guiding questions for this section. They will each be given a paper this time and asked to each write answers independently.
5. Students will share their answers with class.
6. Teacher asks a few students (non-volunteer) to answer the guiding questions. Students will revise their answers as needed.

Day 2 Guiding Questions
1. “Now, Travis,” he said. “you’re getting to be a big boy; and while I’m gone, you’ll be the man of the family.” Use evidence from the text to explain what the phrase “man of the family” means.
2. Based on the text, what child-like actions does Travis display during the conversation with his father?
3. Using the text, describe the struggle of growing up during this time period.

Day Three
1. Students will be told that the second excerpt is from the same text, but a different part of the book.
2. Students read the text independently.
3. Teacher reads the text aloud while students follow along.
4. Students will receive guiding questions. They should answer independently.
5. Teacher will call on students (non-volunteer) to answer questions. Students should revise their answers if need be.

Day 3 Guiding Questions
1. What evidence in paragraph 3 suggests that this story takes place a long time ago?
2. Explain in your own words the struggle that exists between Travis and his mother.
3. What parts of this excerpt tell you that Travis is selfless?

Day Three/Four?
1. Students will go back and re-read both excerpts on their own.
2. Teacher will read both texts aloud for the students.
3. Students will re-read and teacher tells students to focus on the character of Travis and how he has developed through both excerpts.
4. Using evidence from both excerpts, students will write a paragraph discussing the development of Travis’s character and how he has grown from both experiences.

Day 4 Student Writing
1. Using evidence from both excerpts, students will write a paragraph discussing the development of Travis’s character and how he has grown from both experiences.

Name ____________________________
Day 1 Guiding Questions
1. What is the mood of the first two paragraphs? Find evidence from the text that reflects the mood of the family on the day Papa left.
_______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ ___
_______________________________ ________________________
2. The author writes “I wasn’t about to cry. I was fourteen years old, pretty near a grown man. I stood back and didn’t let on for a minute that I wanted to cry.” What evidence is there that explains why the author wrote this?
_______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ ___

Day 2 Guiding Questions
1. “Now, Travis,” he said. “you’re getting to be a big boy; and while I’m gone, you’ll be the man of the family.” Use evidence from the text to explain what the phrase “man of the family” means.
_______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ __________
2. Based on the text, what child-like actions does Travis display during the conversation with his father?
_______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ _______________________________ __________
3. Using the text, describe the struggle of growing up during this time period.
Day 3 Guiding Questions
1. What evidence in paragraph 3 suggests that this story takes place a long time ago?
2. Explain in your own words the struggle that exists between Travis and his mother.
3. What parts of this excerpt tell you that Travis is selfless?

Day 4 Student Writing
1. Using evidence from both excerpts, students will write a paragraph discussing the development of Travis’s character and how he has grown from both experiences.