ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   The VENT (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mathematics Not good at teaching Math to 5th (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=435051)

melesc 10-25-2012 11:44 AM

Not good at teaching Math to 5th

:confused:I have never taught higher than 3rd grade, and this year I was told I had to teach 5th grade math. I struggle as it is with math, and everyday I do my "homework" before I teach the kids. Some days are better, but for some reason, when I'm not confident the kids catch on, and I get very frustrated. These are all of the advanced GATE kids that supposedly "get it" when they are taught the concepts. My problem is, that I feel like they can see right through me sometimes, and I feel like they know more than me. Does anyone else feel intimated about teaching 5th grade math? Where can I go online for some Teacher tutoring for math?<!--pumpkin2-->

Hideeho 10-25-2012 11:54 AM

Doing your homework is really good. Do you also work through examples you will want to show the kids and the activities? That might help with confidence.

I have heard of a site called Kahn Academy, I think is the name. There was a segment about it on TV. I've heard of a few schools using it.

It's just a regular guy, although very smart <!--giggle--> , who does tutorials about certain math concepts. It sounded very good.

Good luck!

teenytiny 10-25-2012 05:56 PM

Kahn academy is great! Give it a try.

If you feel like you are lacking confidence, just fake the confidence as best you can. Have a sense of humor about making a mistake or if the kids correct you. Gate kids make mistakes, too.

askmyteacher 10-25-2012 06:15 PM

Teacher

What state do you teach in? If in Louisiana, try to find a LINKS or LASIP person that can help you win some confidence. Get some nerve and put these guys in small groups and put them to work on real-life problem solving. If you are not familiar with Choice Boards or Menus---research the Internet and move the paradigm. This is the great news! They do the work and you facilitate. Your menu should have activities revelant to Bloom's taxonomy--your fifth graders should have enuf experience to work independently and with a partner. Put some kids as tutors of various topics and let them show you. I taught algebra for ten years (gifted) sixth grade and these guys went crazy when I said you decide how you want to learn this material. I told them they had a certain amount of time to learn it and they did...

Hariasa 10-27-2012 07:03 AM

Have...

one of the kids be the teacher. Let them teach the lesson. It will go one of two ways; it will be a success or the student will learn how you feel.

Go to another 5th grade teacher at your school and ask them for help.

amherstteach 10-27-2012 07:08 AM

When I don't understand a math concept I find that it is best to just admit that I am having a difficult time. It makes you look more human to them and, since they can see right through you anyways, it may actually help your situation and their frustration. I've gone and sat through other teacher's math classes when I needed to learn a new math concept...I teach high school and am in the math intervention department so it's a bit more challenging than 5th grade math, but over the years I've become quite good at teaching math to kids that struggle. I think it helps me be a better teacher because I get where they are coming from.

melesc 10-27-2012 04:33 PM

Thank you all for the very good advice. I have looked up Kahn Academy and will be able to use it for my lessons. I was very fortunate yesterday, to have a university student come to my class for Pre Professional hours he is required to fulfill. The kids loved him and he will be with us a couple times per week. I made groups for the kids and he and I had our own group for the rest of the lesson. I felt more connected with the students and actually was able to help them. I am also going to implement more learning activities. I looked up some math stations and I can't wait to get started. Thank you again!!!:D

Lady Teacher 10-27-2012 04:51 PM

I understand completely

I taught third for ten years before moving to fifth this year. Whew! The math and the science are no joke!! I'm in Michigan and I also have to do my homework every single night before I teach the kids. I get some questions that I just can't answer. When that happens my answer is always this, "you know what guys I'm not sure. I'll look it up and have an answer for you tomorrow. Then I write it on the class question poster and look it up for them. I've tried to turn my insecurity into a positive in my class.

It helps that I have had 1/3 of my class already in third grade. They already love me and I love them so we make it a "we're all in this together!" kind of a thing. Good luck.