ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Visual & Performing Arts (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gingerbread ornaments from applesauce? (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=2617)

Melinda 11-29-2005 11:43 AM

Gingerbread ornaments from applesauce?

Has anyone made the gingerbread man oranaments with applesauce and cinnamon? I can't remember what else goes in them, but they turn hard and smell good on the tree.

If anyone knows the other ingredient(s) for these, please post.
Thanks!

Found it! 11-30-2005 09:02 AM

Try this...

1 cup cinnamon and 1 cup applesauce and 1 tablespoon white glue.
Roll out using wax paper and cut with cookie cutters. Use straw to make a hanging hole. Let dry about 24 hours. These keep their scent for a few years.

Ms. J 11-30-2005 07:52 PM

How many...

ornaments does the recipe above make? An approximate number would be great. I have never tried this, but I think I will this year. Can you decorate them or do you usually just leave as is?? Thanks!

Melinda 12-05-2005 10:14 AM

I've never made them myself...

My student teacher made them once and wants to try with my kids next week.

She decorated them with mini-pompoms, sequins, beads, etc.

She is not here today. I don't know how many that will make. I'm guessing each recipe will only make a few.

felicitysue 12-13-2005 07:43 PM

21 Ornaments

My recipe is 3 cups cinnamon, 2 cups applesauce, 1/2 cup glue. You may need to add a little water to this: it needs to be the consistency of thick cookie dough. Have the children pound out to 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters. If you do not have time to let them dry naturally you can stick them in the oven at 275 for 45 minutes x 3. Flip after each 45 minutes. I always do it in conjunction with math lessons on measurement. This made 21 ornaments with a little left over. Merry Christmas and good luck!

cheryal 12-14-2005 10:36 AM

Gingerbread ornaments

I just made these with my kindergartners. FelicitySue's recipe is the best I've tried. I tried one with 1/2 c cinnamon, 1/2 c applesauce and 2 T glue, but they were sticky and gooey. Felicitysue's recipe made them nice and firm, the dough was easy to roll out and they look really nice. I found that sprinkling some cinnamon on the table and top of the dough helped as I was rolling it out. I also used a tiny bit of water, but not much as I was patting the dough into a ball before rolling it out. Thanks for the recipe, Felicity. It made a HUGE difference!

Melinda 12-15-2005 10:32 AM

Our results:

We tried the original recipe. It made about 16 thin ornaments. I think we made ours a little too thin. They took two complete days to dry. A few of them cracked.

Next time, we'll try the 3-cup recipe and bake them.

Joyzie 11-28-2007 10:35 PM

Thanks

Thanks to all who posted this recipe, I work in a Domstic violence Shelter and we have several children living there with their moms. Several of our children have been beaten and battered as well. This project made a wonderful new holiday memory for their family.

Craftmom 12-07-2007 10:43 PM

Applesauce Gingerbread Men

This is a pretty easy recipe it makes about 7 Gingerbread boys or girls.
3/4 cup applesauce
1 packet of unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 Tablespoons ground cloves

In a saucepan mix the applesauce with the unflavored gelatin. Let sit for 3 minutes. Then heat to a simmer. In a mixing bowl, mix the cinnamon, cornstarch, and ground cloves. After the applesauce mixture comes to a simmer add it to the mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Mix and roll out to 1/4" and use cookie cutters. Don't forget to put a hole to hang them from. Let dry for a day or so and decorate. Hope I have helped. Enjoy!

joy777 10-29-2009 11:06 AM

raised gingerbread

Does anyone have a recipe for the ornaments with baking soda or something that would make them raise alittle when you bake them so they would look more like a puffy cookie?

tjohn96 12-15-2012 06:24 AM

sparkle

<!--christmasA-->I add glitter, too! I roll it out and let the kids choose a cookie cutter. I haven't had a lot of luck with getting stuff to "stick" to the ornaments once they have dried.