ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Special Education (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Other Sdc to regular classroom (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=617496)

pinacolada 04-04-2019 03:57 PM

Sdc to regular classroom

In your experience, how many of your students who were in full day SDC programs able to eventually be fully mainstreamed?

readandweep 04-04-2019 04:26 PM

SDC to mainstream

I am assuming SDC means special day class or a self-contained room. I am also assuming by mainstreamed you been regular ed with resource support.

Four of my six years have been in self-contained special ed classrooms and my short answer to your questions is one. One student.

I was the only self-contained teacher at my school and I also got younger students from the elementary.

The student wasn't/isn't cognitively impaired, he has an unspecified mood disorder. Apparently psychiatrists don't want to officially diagnose someone with a mood disorder until they are 18.

The student spent time in a psych ward, worked with a psychiatrist and his home life stabilized. He worked hard in my room, we gradually worked him into regular ed and he went to resource the next school year.

The resource teacher could not and would not handle him. He bounced back to me and was fine. Last I heard he had transitioned to day treatment. I had him in first through third grades.

I have had students leave my room because parents did not want their child in "that class." I guess they would technically be a yes answer to your question, but they were in no way successful or had worked their way out of my class.

The parents were more concerned about how it looked.

One of those students had the lowest IQ and academic ability I have ever worked with. But he spoke clearly and was oh so cute.

I left that school after that year. :)

Haley23 04-04-2019 05:28 PM

SDC is not a thing here. We do have a program that is supposed to be "moderate needs." My job is listed as "mild-moderate." Years ago, those students received more pull out services than students in my program. They have some teachers there who have pushed for a co-teaching model instead.

Just recently, we were at a district job alike meeting where one of the moderate needs sped teachers was complaining that he his former students were placed into self-contained in middle school. Middle school team mentioned the students have low IQs and were very unsuccessful when they tried to place them in "inclusion classes." The mod needs teacher was bragging about he had kids who were 5 years behind fully included.

I'm sorry, but that is not something to brag about. What kind of educational experience is a child who is 5 years behind but sitting in gen ed all day getting? This whole "full inclusion" movement has vilified sped settings and put gen ed settings up on a pedestal. I feel that we do students a massive disservice in the name of doing something simply because it sounds nice to other adults.

None of my resource students are fully included. I STRONGLY believe in specialized pull out instruction. I truly believe it's the most important and effective part of my students' day. The vast majority of my students enjoy pull outs. When there is an issue, 99% of the time it's because the gen ed teacher and/or parent is creating or feeding into it- i.e. telling the child they're missing out on something in gen ed, acting sad about the child going to the pull out, etc.

As for the "moderate needs" program that is now a full on "co-teaching" program, I no longer refer my students there if I can get them to make even a tiny amount of progress. The services we're providing are simply better in every way. The only reason I even consider it is for legal reasons- if the child is truly making NO progress for a long period of time, it could come back on me that I didn't refer to the supposedly "more intensive" program.

misscurlyj 04-05-2019 06:16 AM

Hello,
I am a 3-5th resource teacher. In the past eight years of my teaching experience, there have been one or two students per year that transition from self-contained to gen ed with resource support.

I am of the same opinion as Haley23 regarding pull out services being the most effective use of our expertise and time. I currently have a caseload of 21 and all but 1, come to me at some point in the day for specialized instruction. My kiddos would be drowning/frustrated/and disengaged if they were in gen ed all day long. I work with fabulous gen ed teachers who recognize the importance of differentiation when the kids are with them, but at the same time realize the importance of my specialized instruction to move the kids forward. Not to mention these are kids that often just need a break or attention for at times just surviving this school thing :D