ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Special Education (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   When to push for testing and when to keep doing RTI (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=617663)

Kinderkr4zy 04-08-2019 07:40 PM

When to push for testing and when to keep doing RTI

I feel like this is the hardest thing to figure out. SOmetimes the kid is so ow that there is no question, but other times I go back and forth for a WHILE then we the kid is finally tested they more than qualify-meaning that I wasted a whole year on RTI when the previous teacher RTI'd them as well so...2 years of RTI with minimal growth.

I have 2 I am hmmming and haaaaing on so give me your advice. Both kids have been SST'd since 1st-do I push for testing or continue RTI (what admin always seems to want)

They struggle in every aspect of math except... the fractions unit? It seems likie they "get it" because we present it like 90% visually and with models of various kinds like through the whole unit and the unit moves S...l..o...w...l...y in general.

But they still cant add and subtract... or do many of the second grade skills (end of 3rd now). It looks like what they really cant do is follow multiple steps or carry over understanding once the visuals/manipulatives are stripped away-which is basically where we need to get. This shows its self over and over from time addition to division to time to area.

If I can tell that the issue is following multi-steps/keeping up without heavy visuals (or when you need to create your own models/visuals as a a strategy rather than them being present from the onset) is this a genuine issue that or will they not qualify and everyone will just ells me to keep giving them visuals and additional interventions and small groups-which of course I already do. I dont want to waste a bunch of time only to be told to just keep doing what I am doing.

Tounces 06-05-2019 07:24 AM

Rti

Iím a bit confused on your post. Are you, the special ed teacher, doing the interventions for students who are in general education?
If so, are you in a co-teaching class?
In my experience, the gen ed teacher or title 1 teacher do the interventions.
Anyway, how are the studentsí progress being monitored? One can usually tell from that data if they need to be tested or not. I used CBM to monitor progress, look at student work etc.

kahluablast 06-05-2019 08:36 AM

For most, if they have been receiving interventions for that long and still have a need by the end of the year, I don't think it is unreasonable to push for testing. What we do find though, is that often they aren't far enough behind yet to qualify, so waiting to test in fourth is better in the long run.

Is it best for kids? No, but that is the system, at least here.

Kinderkr4zy 06-05-2019 07:51 PM

Tounces-I am standard gen ed providing intervention and keeping the RTI/SST process going. I was wondering when to push the team for testing and when let the ever slow wheels of RTI keep moving at their own pace. For progress monitoring I use RTI curriculum's with a baseline assessment, a progress monitor assessment every 2 weeks, and a summative after 6 weeks. I watch the data and hope to see an increase along the way, but atleast something by the end. Everyone usually manages to have some progress by the end even if its not much-but the too little progress kids are the ones I struggle with knowing how long to keep waiting on. I know it takes time, but I dont want to waste too much time.

Kahluablast- I find the same thing and I don't want to have them tested only to have them not qualify since I feel like this can slow down the process of getting them identified the next year when they would have qualified the if I had waited until they had started 4th. Also I find the the 4th grade teachers often act like we need to be getting them identified before they get to 4th-but with several they aren't far enough behind until them to qualify. this leaves me really second guessing myself and worrying that I am letting kids fall through the cracks. I start paperwork, I do interventions, I record progress, I plan new interventions based on the data, Then they manage to make some growth but not as much as they need to be where they need to be or where you would expect after all that time and assistance-but some growth isnt no growth. ugh I wish there was a magic cure all answer for this.

seenthelight 06-05-2019 10:58 PM

This is one of my biggest frustrations with RTI. If youíre school will allow it, push for testing. It is ridiculous to allow a child to be on RTI basically in perpetuity. The R in there is for Response. If a child is not responding to intervention, then we need to figure out why they arenít responding and get them the appropriate supports. The same kids are on RTI year, after year, after year.

kahluablast 06-06-2019 04:42 AM

Quote:

but some growth isnt no growth
. Isn't that the truth?

My rule of thumb is if they are keeping close with interventions, no reason to test them. If they can do what I want them to do in interventions - yet not perform it independently - or the next day without reteach/support, keep them in interventions. Then, toward the end of the year I take them for their first meeting and set parents and team up to do the next one in the beginning of the year 4th grade. Then the following teacher has a paper trail, info is passed on, parents get the chance to see it isn't just the teacher, and, if, by some miracle of chance, there is maturation and a student catches up - no worries. Otherwise they are should be tested by mid year in 4th and the results usually are pretty accurate. If I don't take them once to our team, then it takes too long in 4th grade and they won't get tested until toward the end of the year.

I have one every year that it seems comes to me in third with kinder skills. Those I push to get tested right away. Usually, they come from a different school, but sometimes they just have parents who refuse to see an issue. I push it. Pushed it with one who refused, so I recommended retention in October so they would know I meant it. He got tested and didn't qualify, but did qualify in 5th. I would do it again because that parent needed the push to see a problem - but truthfully, that child should have qualified for something at that point.

It is a hard call either way. This year I took one toward the end of the year and the SAT Chair said "I know Mrs. Kahulablast has been doing interventions, so we could have the second meeting off the data she has collected. Then little Suzy can be tested over the summer." We will see how that one comes out. <!--eyebrow-->That is the first time that happened. I was so happy to fill out additional paperwork and squeeze in another meeting in the last 2 weeks of school! LOL I am glad I didn't take the other one I was considering.