ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Sunflower Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Another DM / RW question! (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=350605)

txteacher51 07-25-2011 12:40 PM

Another DM / RW question!

I am trying really hard to get this going with zero support from my school. No one in my school does a real reader's workshop so I have no one to go to for help/advice. This is only my 2nd year to teach, but I completely and totally believe in it and feel that it is absolutely the way to go. My brain is totally fried right now, though, and I just feel like I'm walking in circles!

I am planning to purchase DM's book tomorrow. I really can not spend a ton of money on books as I have spent so much on my classroom this summer. Is this THE book? Is it going to give me everything I need to know to get organized? What I am hoping for is more "This is how you do it...." instead of this is why you do it. (I'm already sold!!!) I can write lesson plans, but I would love a general outline of units. Is this provided in the book? I am planning to use a few of Beth Newmingham's ideas, too. Mostly her printable forms for the actual work book, but it would be nice if there was some of that, too...?

Thank you for reading this long post. I really am feeling stressed and overwhelmed at the moment!

MiamiEm324 07-25-2011 01:33 PM

Depends

Reading With Meaning does have several sample lessons, especially for getting started at the beginning of the year. Most of it is organized by comprehension strategies. The best part was that it really helped me to think like her, therefore having the confidence to come up with my own lessons using her style. I have reread this book every year (it also calms me... there is something about her that just feels like you are talking to a wise friend). I would highly recommend it- especially if you are feeling overwhelmed! You might be able to preview it on google books too.

Teaching With Intention was still a great read, but it was a little less "what to do" and more "why to do it." The suggestions were more about your approach to teaching than actual lessons. I loved reading it, but don't see myself referring back to it as often as RWM. Maybe put this one on your wish list and splurge on RWM for now.

Good luck and don't give up : ) Run to the book store and let Debbie get you pumped to go back to school. She may not be exactly what you are looking for in terms of unit plans, but you could probably find a lot of that online too. Jessica Meacham also has a great website packed with resources.

MiamiEm324 07-25-2011 01:39 PM

Another Thought

I am not sure what grade level you teach, but I teach third and use a lot of lesson ideas from Comprehension Connections by Tanny McGregor. She has a chapter for each of the major comprehension strategies and goes over several ways to introduce the strategy in a more concrete way, apply it in a nonreading format (songs, artwork, etc.), and then apply it while reading. Her anchor charts are awesome and her lessons have been a hit with my students every time. This book sits on my desk next to Reading With Meaning, both overflowing with sticky notes!

txteacher51 07-25-2011 02:52 PM

Thank you Miami...

I also teach 3rd. Thank you for the encouragement and recommendations, I'm going to look into the website now!

firstisfab 07-25-2011 07:00 PM

Rw

Stephanie Harvey's Primary Toolkit is my favorite resource. It costs quite a bit more but she has outlined lessons and includes blackline master reading resouces as well. She takes you through all her lessons step by step.

Debbie Miller's book is a great start and she gives you booklists. you can go to the library and get many of her mentor texts without purchasing more books. Good Luck!

txteacher51 07-26-2011 12:16 PM

Had to order

I ordered the DM book and also a writer's workshop book.
Hoping to get some really great lesson ideas here and on some other websites!

TrendyTN 07-26-2011 06:08 PM

Primary

I'm not sure which grade you are, but if you are primary, Kathy Collins' book (I forgot the name) is a must read. If you 3-6, try "Fourth Grade Readers". It also has great lessons.

casjen 07-27-2011 04:36 PM

The Kathy Collins book is growing readers and it's great.