ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Violet Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Language Arts | Writing Picture Book and Art Activity (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=374013)

HooCrew 10-22-2011 09:34 AM

Picture Book and Art Activity

I am looking for a picture book that I can read for November and then do an art activity with for a bulletin board. I have the book In November by Cynthia Rylant but I can't think of an art project to go along with the book. In the past I have read the book and had the students write about things they see, fee, taste, touch, and hear in November.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone could give me for this book or for a different book.

Thanks.

Sue too 10-22-2011 11:19 AM

In November

1 Attachment(s)
I am not familiar with the book you are talking about but I recently did an activity with my class that went really well that you might be able to adapt. I got the idea from Lori Jamison Rog's book Marvelous Minilessons for Teaching Beginning Writing K-3. After the explanation I will try to attach a template I updated for you to use.

I did "I Knew it Was Fall" but I set it up for you to do "I Knew it Was November". We brainstormed a list of things we might see in the fall. Next you have the children each write the thing they saw each day. Then the following day you have them add details at the end of the line. The third day you have them add adjectives. I modeled it for my class and they really caught on well. I typed up the poems for them and hung them in the hall.

I will show you an example. I did September, because I didn't want them to just copy mine.

I Knew it was September because

On Monday I saw one teacher

2nd day I added rushing into her classroom.
3rd day I added excited
4th day I added empty

So the first sentence of the poem ended up saying:
On Monday I saw one excited teacher rushing into her empty classroom.

You do all 5 sentences each day of course but it is really doable. I told my class that we were going to prove to ourselves how revision could make a huge improvement in our writing and it really did.

Smilefor3rd 07-20-2012 05:23 PM

November

I am not familiar with the book you mention but based on the activity you usually do... perhaps they could writing a Diamante Poem for the Fall vs another season- then you can hone in on parts of speech and a variety of good adjectives and verbs. The first half would be FALL then talk about fall up to the second noun then begin to talk about Summer.
For example
Fall
Windy, Colorful (2 adjectives)
Apple Picking, Raking, Trick-or-Treating (3 -ing words)
Soccer, School, Vacation, Camp (4 nouns)
Swimming, Playing, BBQ-ing (3 -ing words)
Hot, Sunny (2 adjectives)
Summer

The book A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman and Jeff Shelly is a good one to then have the children disguise their own turkey to hide in the gallery so that it doesn't get selected for Thanksgiving dinner.