ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Teachers' Lounge (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A moving question (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=619636)

Hideeho 05-23-2019 05:42 PM

A moving question

Has anyone moved from a home to an apartment?

My DH is done "owning a home". We naturally thought of moving to another, perhaps smaller home. DH saw a friend today who has been happily living in an apartment for 3 years with her husband.

I took a quick look online this evening and saw apartments with 912 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths.

Thoughts?

kahluablast 05-23-2019 05:45 PM

My cousins have gone this route. No yard. No maintenance. No worries. Sometimes I envy them.

amiga13 05-23-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Has anyone moved from a home to an apartment?
No, but I moved from a big house to a little condo. I consider both “homes.”

My 2bdr 2ba condo is 1324 sf and I am THRILLED with how perfect it is for me at this stage of my life.

Unlike an apartment, I’m still responsible for property taxes and interior repairs—but not exterior, landscape, or building maintenance, yay, yay, yay. Unlike an apartment, this is my investment with no rent.

I do wonder about the space issues in the 912sf apartment you describe. DD just got a 1bdr 1ba apartment that’s 914sf.

eeza 05-23-2019 07:04 PM

house to an apartment

I haven't gone that route, but I did live in a townhouse for about 8 years and I only had a teeny space to take care of in front of my house and it was just tanbark. All of the other stuff was taken care of by the HOA. That might be a good option, especially if he'd rather not have upstairs/downstairs neighbors.

Haley23 05-23-2019 08:05 PM

I'm hopefully moving into a condo or townhouse this summer from an apartment. I'm not looking at houses because I don't want to deal with mowing the grass, shoveling snow, etc. The HOA will take care of all outdoor maintenance.

For several years, the maintenance piece was what kept me in an apartment vs. looking to own- the convenience of just filling out an online form anytime something went wrong, and then having it fixed for free within 1-2 days while I was at work.

However, this past year I'm getting more and more annoyed with my apartment. The dryer makes a horrible squeaking noise to the point where I dread doing laundry, yet they won't fix it because "it still works." They did some sort of routine maintenance check last summer, and IDK what they did, but now the heat and AC make annoying rattling noises. They say "that's a normal sound" (even though I've lived here for 5 years, and I've not heard it before they came in). The carpet is looking very worn, but it's not my place, so I can't choose to replace it. I'm at the point where I want to be able to make improvements as I see fit, even though it means paying for them.

If you're not used to having upstairs/downstairs neighbors plus people right next to you, I'd also think about how bothered you'll be by that. I've been fortunate that my place is mostly quiet, but a few months ago I got new neighbors who have a little yappy dog that I can constantly hear through the wall. On weekends when I'm trying to sleep in, I've often had to move to my living room couch because the bedroom wall is shared with the yappy dog.

I have no idea how old you are, but consider how long you'll be living in the apartment. Is it long enough where you would run out of money from the sale of your home? If you bought another home, you won't have to deal with that in the future. That's the other thing that is pushing me to buy. Short term, renting is better financially (at least in my situation), but long term it's not at all. I don't want to think about what rent will be in 10 years in my area. And eventually I'll have no payment at all, even if it is in 30 years <!--eyebrow-->.

JanetL 05-23-2019 11:55 PM

There are risks to living in an apartment. You don't get to choose who lives above, below, and to the sides of you
I once had to move because I lived above idiots who played loud music at all hours and sold drugs. Police couldn't do anything and landlord only was interested in their rent check. Be wary! A townhouse might be a safer way to go.

WacSingLof 05-24-2019 07:00 AM

I moved from a small house (but on 4 storeys!) with my two kids, to a 900sq ft apartment with only DD, then to a 450sq ft apartment where I live alone. It's perfect for me, size wise. It has a large balcony so I can grow a few herbs and plants. Not having to deal with maintenance is great. But it's loud and poorly insulated. I'm moving again in 2 months, not sure where yet. But I hope to live in a RV full time fairly soon;)

Coopsgrammy 05-24-2019 07:34 AM

move

I have several friends who have moved to 55+ communities. They all love it and say it was the best decision they have made. Most of the communities have small apartments, a pool, social events, meals if wanted - apartments have small kitchens. My sister, 65, is looking into this.

NJ Teacher 05-24-2019 07:37 AM

Condo

A condo or a townhome might be a good option, especially if you derive tax benefits from owning something vs. renting. A condo/townhome community has the advantage over apartments in that there are clear rules (often many rules) that would help you if you did have the misfortune to have troublesome neighbors. The downside is lack of privacy. I have two neighbors, one underneath, one in the unit on the other side, who are busybodies that seem to know everyone's business.

The other thing you need to remember about a condo/townhome residence is that the maintenance fees will most likely go up. You also could be assessed if there is a major project that needs to be done in the community. I am fortunate that was only done once in the 25 years or so that I have lived here, but it was for over $2000 for a project which did not benefit my unit at all. You also will pay taxes which escalate, and in an apartment, you would have no ttax bills.

The good thing about renting is that if you found it wasn't for you, you could always buy at a later time. You could also rent in a condo/townhouse community and try it out.

wildflowerz 05-24-2019 10:21 AM

We are considering a similar move.

We have a small townhouse with 3 bed, 2.5 bath, basement, and garage. We have someone cut our grass.

We are considering going to a 2 story condo with 2 bed, 1.5 bath but no basement or garage. There is a neighborhood that I am watching for the right place to become available. A friend lived there and I always liked spending time at her place. I love the pool there. It is within walking distance to the train and on the line there are two very walkable towns and a city. I think we would enjoy the carefree lifestyle. We could use the same drs and grocery stores as we do now. We could sell our current place, pay cash for the next one and have no mortgage.

There is only one problem, me. I like my current neighborhood. My neighbors are nice and have been an awesome support system. I tell myself that there are nice people everywhere.

I just retired so it really is too soon for another life decision. My plan is to clean, declutter, do repairs, paint, and be ready to move. In a year Iíll either be ready to move or have a more organized home. Win/win.

Major life decisions are so hard to make but it sounds like you and your dh might be ready to make a move. Have you made a pro/con list?

Hideeho 05-28-2019 06:06 PM

So much to think about

You all have helped with the deciding process. You've thought of things that just hadn't crossed out minds yet.

I think "apartment" can be scratched off the list.