ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Sunflower Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Tanny McGregor and Cris Tovani (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=360145)

VAreader 08-18-2011 05:28 AM

Tanny McGregor and Cris Tovani

I have both of their books that have been on my reading list for AGES.

I've read about 1/4 of Tovani's I Read It, But I Don't Get It and it doesn't seem to be so applicable to a 2nd grade classroom. (Granted, it does say in the title that it is for adolescent readers!)

I just ordered McGregor's Comprehension Connections and it's come!

Question: Am I missing something really great if I abandon Tovani for McGregor?

Tatha 08-18-2011 06:09 AM

McGregor is Great!

I haven't heard of the Tovani book you referred to, BUT Comprehension Connections is WONDERFUL and very applicable to 2nd grade. She basically advocates for making reading strategies/thinking concrete by using real-life objects in order for students to understand. I was fortunate to actually see Tanny McGregor talk in person. Of course there was a long line of us wanting her to autograph our copies of her book. Well, when I got up there, was I surprised that she wanted all of us to sign her book. Anyway, her book is well worth the time and money! I walked away feeling inspired.

VAreader 08-18-2011 06:59 AM

Thank You!!!!!

I'll pass along the Tovani book to a middle school teacher then. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Fababe 08-19-2011 07:58 PM

Tovani & McGregor

I have read and used ideas from both books. Chris Tovani's book is definitely better for upper elementary or intermediate grades. Comprehension Connections really worked with my 2nd graders and I used quite a bit of nonfiction for the strategies.

Mz. L. 08-21-2011 07:00 PM

Have you read...

Reading with Meaning and Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller? Also, Kathy Collins' Growing Readers? They are basic must haves for primary Readers' Workshop.

VAreader 09-09-2011 04:35 PM

Mz. L,

Reading with Meaning is dog eared, loved, and regularly read!!! I have not read Growing Readers or Teaching with Intention, but have thought about them. I bought McGregor's book over Growing Readers because I thought it would be more practical. And I do like it--it was a good purchase.

I will DEFINITELY buy Growing Readers next. It's been on my list too long!

If only these books weren't so expensive........

Many thanks for the tips!

reading4ever 09-17-2011 08:29 PM

Comprehension Connections

is the bomb.com. I LOVE it. It hits all the main point of Debbie's RwM and gives concrete lessons to go with it. I have done the schema lessons already - roller tape lesson was amazing! I have used the garbage lesson too - and it is amazing. My goal this year is to use every lesson.

VAreader 11-02-2011 10:22 AM

Real Reading Salad

The only lesson I have used so far is the Real Reading Salad--oh my gosh my class loves it! I haven't read enough to have gotten to the garbage lesson!

Thanks for sharing!

ojitos 08-26-2012 07:19 AM

Reading strategies

So, if I follow Comprehension Connections and Reading with meaning, I should be fine and I will cover the requirements of the CCSS?
Please share any suggestions and advice.
Thank you so much.