ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Fifth Grade (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Reading | Literature Reading Aloud with Fifth graders (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=600729)

Cat woman 03-27-2018 03:02 AM

Reading Aloud with Fifth graders

I am coming from a primary grade perspective so when I did my read alouds I like the intimacy of having the kids sit on the floor in our classroom library/meeting area as I read to them. Is this something fifth graders commonly do? Or are their changing/larger bodies not comfortable sitting on the floor like that?

I am an advocate of the daily read aloud for all ages, but want to be doing what is physically possible for them!

Sam5 03-27-2018 04:52 AM

I found that while the idea of having them sit on the floor in a meeting area sounded good, it just never worked for my class. The kids tended to want to lay down and also seemed to want their own space. Also, fifth graders are very social and will spend a lot of time being concerned who they are sitting by. I found that the kids did better at their own desks or spread out in my room on various pillows, mats, and bag chairs that I had. Even that took alt of practice and some classes just had to stay at their desks.

igaboo8 03-28-2018 02:11 AM

Read Aloud

Read aloud is my favorite part of the day! I taught second grade for 5 years before going to fifth grade and I also was worried about this. However, I've never had an issue with them sitting on the rug. I actually sit on the rug with them and there are always a couple of kids that really enjoy sitting next to me so they can read along, too.
I think one reason I haven't had issues with the rug is because the book I read are sooooo good and I genuinely love them, so the kids are just as invested as I am.
Not sure what you are planning on reading, but here are some of my favorites:
Out of My Mind
Wonder
City of Ember
Michael Vey
A Long Walk to Water
One for the Murphys
The War that Saved My Life

I'm going back to second grade next year and I'm really going to miss getting to read these :(

texteach55 03-28-2018 02:37 AM

I say try it. Every class has its own personality. I have always called kids to the carpet to read to them. Even my sixth graders enjoyed that part of the day. Class discussions seem to be deeper and more meaningful on the carpet. I often have the students sit in a circle for our discussions. Let us know how it goes.

Gromit 03-28-2018 07:21 AM

My fifth graders really do not like gathering on a rug, but they love sprawling all over during read aloud. I allow that, and it works fine for most. If it’s a problem, they have to sit at their desk.

My class is small enough that sprawling all over is still pretty contained.

Lakeside 03-28-2018 10:32 AM

Definitely keep reading!

And invite them to come the rug if they would like to. But let them stay at their desks if they prefer (or just turn their chairs around to face the rug if they prefer that). I find students that age feel like teens one day, and kids the next, so they may want to do different things on different days.

I'd explain that you understand a lot of their day is dictated for them, and you're making an effort to give them a little freedom here because you're pretty sure they can handle it. - But they do need to prove you right.

FLNUT 04-05-2018 01:39 PM

First THANK YOU all

for continuing with the read aloud. We only have two teachers other than myself still doing it in our 3-5 grade classes and it breaks my heart.

When I moved up I was told “fifth graders won’t sit on a carpet” but I have found they are just big babies and they love it! Lakeside is right about giving the choice because I noticed this year some have preferred staying at their seats. I start them all on the carpet and then it casually becomes what they are comfortable with. I just make sure they know wherever they are they are listening but that would be a management thing. And TBH they all do because it truly is our favorite time of day!

As for books, igaboo8 hit the best ones. Christopher Paul Curtis’s Bud Not Buddy is good too!

ajmm115 04-22-2018 03:25 PM

great read alouds

You can't go wrong with either of these as read alouds:

Snow Treasure
Twenty and Ten

Both deal with children in war areas - Norway and France.

GreenGables 06-06-2018 08:54 PM

Out of my mind

I agree!! I love love love Out of My Mind
I played an audio version for my 4th graders— not sure why I did that instead of reading it myself, but it was fantastic and seemed to have a really great impact on the kids. They loved it!