ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Magnolia Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   How do you signal that it is time for morning meeting? (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=287376)

afmom2boys 09-25-2010 09:45 PM

How do you signal that it is time for morning meeting?

I am looking for a calm but happy way to call them to the carpet. I've been using a desk wind chime, but used to use the song, "Oh what a beautiful morning!" However the CD was stolen.

Just wanting to hear your ideas!

1956BD 09-25-2010 10:52 PM

What about

a train whistle? All aboard!

rSquirrel 09-26-2010 08:31 AM

I use a chime...when I ring it they are frozen with their eyes looking at me. I then tell them to clean up and come to Morning Meeting!

Evergreen 09-27-2010 04:13 PM

My kids come in, unpack and line up to read the message and write their response to the message.

TrueTeach 09-28-2010 12:44 AM

A song

I use The World is a Rainbow (Greg and Steve). I use it only for Morning Meeting. It's nice because after a while the kids all sing along with it as they're sitting in the circle, waiting for us to beginning the greeting. :)

TeacherBB 09-29-2010 06:03 PM

I ring a chime. They stop, look and listen. They are instructed to come to the carpet with quiet feet.

Sometimes I do a "Pass it on". Where I whisper in someone's ear, "At the sound of Mrs. O's signal, go to the carpet for MM--Quiet feet"...pass it on." I watch the message go around the room. It only takes a couple of minutes. I ring the chime and they come over with quiet feet.

stmforever 09-30-2010 06:44 PM

student signal

I have a teacher assistant as one of my jobs. I put a bell on the student's desk in the morning who has that job for the day. The students know that at 8:10 exactly that student will tap the bell three times. They immediately move into the circle.
That way if I get distracted with other things, the student will always keep me on track!

peggyteach 10-02-2010 02:31 PM

great ideas

Such fun classrooms! I just say "it's time for Morning meeting" How dull!

looking4more 10-03-2010 03:52 PM

my haromica...one soft blow on the low end is all it takes and the kids freeze and listen for the next direction...it is always in my pocket so I can use it wherever we are - of course shopping is tricky as everything I buy HAS to have a pocket!!

wirklich 10-07-2010 02:51 PM

Singing Bowl

I use a singing bowl to call my 4th graders to the carpet for Morning Meeting. It's the only time of the day I use it!

pitta 10-09-2010 07:53 AM

I use...

a rainstick. The students so love the soothing sound. They are excited to be able to be in charge of morning meeting so they can call everyone over with the rainstick.

Tigger3 10-09-2010 08:36 AM

I use

a music wand. It's a soft sound and when the students hear it they stop what they're doing and come right to the rug.