ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Special Education (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Grading | Assessment Holding most IEP meetings at beginning of the year? (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=606884)

teacher0729 07-30-2018 09:10 AM

Holding most IEP meetings at beginning of the year?

Hi all,

My principal brought up last year that we could try holding all of the IEPs that are due during the first semester at the beginning of the year and all of the IEPs that are due during the second semester towards the end of the year or after second quarter. Has anyone done this? My only concern would be I don't know some of the kids who are new on my caseload that well at the beginning of the year which makes it difficult to write a good IEP for them. But... it would be nice to have the majority of paperwork out of the way and really focus on actually teaching during the school year.

dee 07-30-2018 09:17 AM

It's usually driven by dates

But if he wants to do them early, I would! Maybe mid to late October?

Haley23 07-30-2018 09:45 PM

We do our IEPs all throughout the year as they are due. My dad is also a sped teacher and his school does them all at the end of the year. While this does mean he only needs to work on paperwork a few weeks out of the year, those few weeks are extremely stressful, busy, and difficult.

Another issue to think about is how often do you get kids that transfer into your school from other schools, or how often do you identify new students throughout the year? At my dad's school, they had to create "gap IEPs" for transfer or newly identified students, and then do a second IEP for them at the end of the year so that they'd be due with everyone else the following year. His school isn't very transient, so not a huge deal for him, but at my school, we'd be doing these "gap IEPs" all year long, negating the entire idea of doing them all at once in the first place.

Personally, I prefer the way we do it. I'd rather just have paperwork as a regular thing that I'm working on in bits and pieces throughout the year than get used to not having to do much and then get slammed for a few weeks twice per year. That said, if my admin was insistent that's not a hill I'd die on- just they way I'd prefer things to be if they were asking my opinion.

Lottalove 08-01-2018 10:46 AM

My biggest caution

about the beginning of the year IEPs would be that every time you meet compliance timelines on the first try, it will move next year's due date up by 10 days or so. After a couple years, the IEP would be due in early August before school is in session...

I have one student with a very early due date and we may face that before he graduates.

I like them spread out some. So much less stressful.