ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Teacher News & Opinion (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Other Quit and be sued (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=592908)

broomrider 10-22-2017 09:20 PM

Quit and be sued

This district is suing teachers who resign before the end of the year. Sounds like the district REALLY needs some help.

Good on the union for getting a lawyer to defend the former teachers. I'd think the lawsuits will cost the district more than $3,000 per teacher.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/e...p.html?ref=yfp

RetiredKat 10-23-2017 02:16 AM

Maybe...

Maybe the district would be better off using their resources finding ways to support their teachers. What a concept!!!

JanetL 10-23-2017 08:01 AM

Catholic schools are charging a fee also for breaking a contract. Pretty soon no one will want to go into education.<!--grumpy-->

Mrs.Lilbit 10-23-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

However, several of the 32 teachers being sued say they left St. Louis Public Schools not because it was difficult to teach students, but more because they felt they had no support from administrators.

One teacher said a student punched her in the face and the student faced no discipline from the principal. Another teacher said she faced virtually daily harassment from her principal and coworkers, even after reporting it to district administrators. Another teacher said he saw feces on the walls and rodents in the building where he worked, on top of classrooms crowded with more than 30 students.
This just makes me so angry. This basically makes a teaching contract equivalent to indentured servitude. How many times have we, as teachers, been told to stop complaining; that if we don't like our jobs, we should just quit. Well, that's what these teachers did. They voted with their feet. And instead of fixing the problems that made them leave, the district sues them to discourage other teachers from leaving?

SMH.

DOUBLEWOW 10-23-2017 04:29 PM

ridiculous

Are we prisoners? Can you imagine yourself in an interview and they ask you to sign a $3000 penalty if you break the contract? That should raise a big huge red flag to any person considering such position. Can someone please slap me.

Why a teacher is obligated to stay more than two weeks in a position that is harmful to her health is beyond me. It is unreasonable to expect a teacher to work in a hostile environment and stay in there until the end of the contract. We should be the ones suing the department of education for having for endangering our lives.

Now days teachers are prisoners in schools were administrator are playing the games, students and parents run over the teachers because administrators and school districts let them. As long as the parent, and student are happy and they don't sue the school, administrators will let them get away with murder. Not only that, other teachers can also make your life miserable if they are part of the problem and you don't want to play along.

In addition to everything else, administrator will ask you to do things that are against the law and to be quiet about it. It is always our fault.

In summary, the problem is ourselves. We are unable to get together and demand respect, integrity, equality, and what's right. We stay quiet when we should speak up. When, one speak up, we don't support. We tell ourselves lay low and don't make waves.

I hope they counter sue this school.

Gogogo 10-23-2017 10:39 PM

I thought indentured servitude was illegal.

Rkhnd 10-24-2017 04:29 PM

A contract is a contract

If you quit before the end, you can be sued for breach of contract. If you sign a contract you need to keep your end of the deal.

"I thought indentured servitude was illegal."

I am not sure that you know what that means.
From Dictionary.com:
indentured servant definition. A person under contract to work for another person for a definite period of time, usually without pay but in exchange for free passage to a new country.

If you are getting a pay check for the work you perform, you are not an indentured servant.

broomrider 10-25-2017 10:28 AM

Rkhnd

While I agree with you regarding fulfilling contractual obligations , there is also an obligation to provide safe and sanitary working conditions.

Some districts appear to wait for employees to call in the police or health departments before fulfilling their reciprocal obligations. And likely not even then.

Many teachers appear unwilling to make reports to outside authorities to avoid retribution but leave in self defense instead.

Lottalove 10-26-2017 07:24 AM

But Rkhnd is still right

Our contracts, unfortunately, only state our expectations. The main expectations mentioned on the part of the school district involve pay and benefits. A safe, healthy working environment is assumed in most cases, not spelled out in the contract itself.

Every contract I've ever seen (or been part of) has the terms and conditions for ending the contract specified. They almost always include a section of consequences for breaking the contract.

The school districts are only doing what they are legally allowed. I guess someone wanting to quit early could sue for unsafe conditions hoping that a counter offer of the option to leave is made.

AprilDelight 11-07-2017 12:43 PM

And breach of contract is a...

breach of contract!

If one party in the contract isn't receiving what is required (ie: SAFETY during execution of said contractual duties, et cetera) then the contract could be ruled invalid.