ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - reviewing grammar
View Single Post

jensw

Old 08-21-2006, 04:30 PM

I love using "Jabberwocky" to review parts of speech. They really have to understand the concept of each part of speech to identify the nouns, verbs, etc. in that poem! If there are students who disagree on a part of speech for a particular word, we can discuss why they think the way they do (and several words could logically be two different parts of speech depending on how you read the sentence).

I did that in 6th, 8th, and 10th. I'm not sure if it's too old for 5th, but I'm going to give it a try.

I also like breaking down the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence and having them find the subject and the predicate. We did that at a Grammar Seminar for teachers, and only twoof the 30participants were able to correctly identify them (I'd like to point out that I was one of the two ). That helps with identifying subordinate clauses and prepositional phrases.

I also do Preposition Puppy -- the kids pick a preposition and then draw a picture of what relationship a puppy has to rock. Examples: Above a rock -- the kid draws a puppy floating above a rock. Near a rock -- the puppy is an inch or two from the rock. Behind a rock -- a rock with puppy ears sticking out over it.

I don't have it with me, but there's a "Dear John" letter that reads two different ways depending on the punctuation that is used. You can probably find it on the internet. It's fun to give that letter to the kids and have them punctuate it "properly." Then they can compare letters with each other and see who punctuated a mushy, romantic letter and who punctuated a get lost letter. Also you can use the sentence "A woman without her man is lost." (A woman: without her, man is lost. ) I like to write the first version on the board and hear the cries of outrage from the girls, and then I write what I say is the "real" version. They 8th and 10th graders got a kick out of that. That might be over the head of 5th graders.

Finally, I have them go through magazines and newspapers and identify punctuation and grammar errors. I made that extra credit. If they brought in a "real life" example (not from an Internet site that collects bad grammar examples), they got a couple points extra and got to post it on a bulletin board.

Hope that helps!
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net