ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - help with perimeter
View Single Post

NCteacher

Old 02-10-2007, 05:21 PM

We build a "principal pen"....we have a very laid back principal. He measures off a section of floor in the hallway near the office (conveniently covered in 12 inch square tiles!) and tells the kids that if they can "build" a pen that matches his given perimeter, they can put him in it. He tells us to build a principal pen that is 124 feet or something, then we get out the calculators and figure out what shape it will be and the length of each side- then we go to the hallway and mark it out with tape. Then I get a big ol' length of bulletin board paper and the kids line up around the "pen" and hold up the paper. They call the principal over and he acts all disgusted with them and gets right in! He stays there for a minute or two talking some trash with my kids...."I never thought you would do this to me!" kind of stuff. They ADORE it! With the 12 inch square tiles, it makes marking the perimeter out really easy- and it allows a class discussion on whether or not we should use rulers, yard sticks, measuring tapes, etc. to measure- usually one of the kids will say, "Hey! I know- let's use the floor tiles!" Hope this helps!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net