ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Monthly literacy backpacks
View Single Post

TeacherLisa1st

Traveling Bookbag
Old 03-10-2007, 01:15 PM

Hi, I do these in my first grade room! I call it a Traveling Bookbag. I usually end up doing a new one every 2 months because some kids forget to bring it back the next day, so it takes awhile to get to everyone's house.
I include a book, sometimes a stuffed animal, several games/manipulative, a word search or cut-out puppets (something they can keep), a student journal, glitter crayons and a parent journal. For example, in October I send a Gail Gibbons book about pumpkins w/seeds for sorting and counting, special crayons and directions for students to draw their own silly pumpkin in the journal and write about it, a pumpkin card memory game w/ different sizes and shapes, etc.
I have directions on the baggies for all the games & seeds, I also have directions attached to the bag explaining it and directions on the student journal and parent journal.
Before I start it, I send home a letter explaining its purpose and the fact that its optional. I explain the rules for taking care of it and returning it on time. Then if they choose to use it, parent and child both sign the contract and return to me. I put the names of everyone who signed the contract on a clipboard and the children sign the bag in and out each day. Let me know if you want anymore specifics! Have fun with it - the families love it!! :-)

Lisa
TeacherLisa1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net