ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Reader's Theatre
View Single Post

Suezie

Reader's Theatre
Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 AM

I used Reader's Theatre during my Workstation Rotation Time. First, each group was given their scripts when they rotated to the Teaching Table (ie Guided Reading Table -- I sometimes do Guided Writing so we came up with a name that covered both concepts). That way I could account for different reading levels and sizes of group. Each group read their scripts with me, allowing me to correct their pronounciation of unfamiliar words and discuss the meaning of other words. Just like guided reading, we discussed the plot of the story and made connections. We also discussed reading with expression, pausing, etc.

For the next rotation, the students found their scripts in one of the stations they rotated to. They had a chance to practice on their own. Another day, we reviewed speaking with expression, etc and then everyone had another chance to practice at the same time.

Eventually, every group performed for the rest of the class and after some fine-tuning, they visited and performed for other classes. I do teach grade 5 this year but did something similar when I had grade 1/2. (I think I relied on parent volunteers more to make sure the students were on track.)
Suezie is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net