ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Guided Reading/Reading Workshop
View Single Post

dlynneteacher

Reader's Workshop
Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 AM

Reader's Workshop is the big umbrella of your reading program. Reader's Workshop begins with a teacher read aloud to the whole group emphasizing a particular reading skill or reading strategy or reviewing/continued work on one. During this time, I focus on doing a lot of think alouds and anchor charts to teach the reading skill or strategy.
Next I break my whole group into small groups-i.e. the guided reading portion of reading workshop. It is exactly what you have put in your post, you meet with one group at a time, the other groups are at literacy centers. Then we come back together as a whole group to share a few students' examples of their reading with respect to the reading strategy or skill.
You probably already do this. In my class I have the beginning whole group and then I can only fit in 2 reading groups. So if you want to add the whole group reading, you may have to go down to 2 if you don't have more time.
Also, readers workshop includes time for fluency (I use poems mostly for this) and word work.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by dlynneteacher; 04-07-2007 at 09:49 AM..
dlynneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net