I vary my summer suggestions depending on my class. Some years I send a copy of the activity book Set Sail for Summer Grade 1 Review
Carson-Dellosa Publishing Company, Inc. (Copyright permission is given to the teacher to make copies if they purchase a copy.)
Other years, I send the following letter:
Summer vacation is almost here! To keep skills strong and learning fresh, try some of the following ideas...
- Join the San Antonio Public Library summer reading program.
- Read every day...this summer would be a great time to choose a chapter book and read aloud each evening as a family.
- Keep a vacation journal if you travel this summer. Ask your child to write about and illustrate a journal page for each day of your vacation.
- Bake cookies together (great way to practice reading and math skills!)
- Start a collection...baseball cards, bugs, dolls, coins, marbles, etc. Check out a book from the library to learn more about your collection.
- Practice addition and subtraction facts using fact cards
- Write a letter to Mrs. Miller to tell her what you are doing over the the summer.
- Have a family game night on Friday and play board games and eat pizza.