ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Do you do reading logs?
View Single Post

Emily4th

Reading Logs
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 AM

I have had some success with using what I call CROP QV as a weekly log, but it is such a struggle for that small handful of kids each year, and am sick of fighting it. I think I am going to use my independent reading time to have the kids do CROP QV, because I really like the concept as it itegrates all the skills we teach. Here is what I am thinking I will do for nightly reading:
Weekly comprehension sheet from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Homework-Build...604764-5355904
Weekly Letters: (I am thinking of trying to do this like a parent dialog journal where the kids communicate with their parents. I think that could be really cool, put less work on me, and instill some family reading time. Then on the same token, what about those kids whose families can't or won't respond...possibly make it to any adult or me? I am not sure on the logistics of that one, but am working on it.
REader's Theatre : I would like to incorporate RT into homework simply as practice. Most of my kids do this anyway when we are getting ready to do one, but maybe increase the accountability by getting a parent signature. This one I am also unsure of logistics, as I doubt I will do a RT each week (my principal would kill me if I made all those copies!).

I will use a log in the reading notebook in the callroom, and allow studeents to transfer home reading which would include RT scripts and the books they read for the letters.

Well, I am still brainstorming, but am glad I am not the only one who battles with the reading log every year!
Attached Files
File Type: doc CROP QV.doc (259.5 KB, 760 views)

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net