ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - From Sub to Legitimate Teacher
View Single Post

kimocartmenez

I want to break the "Sub Glass Ceiling"
Old 11-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply. I've actually already been through the stages where other teachers were kind enough to let me observe their classes & have networked with other teachers to cover their classes on a constant basis. I've also had at least 3 relevant long term assignments. The first one in a 9th grade English class where the only valuable lesson I learned was classroom management & I've forever hated high school assignments. The second, covering a 7th grade English class where I actually got to call the shots with the lesson plans & flow of the class & despite working all 6 periods for weeks, I got paid well & improved my teaching skills. I got them to think & work hard on assignments they appreciated & learned from. The kids didn't even want me to leave which spoke volumes about my presence, even though I was strict, but fair. The third was this year in a class I've covered for 2 years which is a high school special-ed moderate-severe class where I feel I improved more & have known for 3 years that this is what I want to go to school & get my credential for. Or for the Transition class of moderate-severe (post HS). While these positives are doing a lot for me in the long run, I just can't take the 2 or 3 week workdays where all I do is just babysit while kids do meaningless class assignments, put on movies, or deal with kids don't see you as a real teacher. I've left many business cards over those few years just to never be called back & only to learn teachers always have different subs, all the time. In my eyes, most teachers could care less about subs because that's what I've seen. There have been a few that I'm thankful for their opportunities. I know I've put in a lot of work only to have my district pass me up for long term assignments that should've been mine (me being the teacher's choice to in the their class), only to put some other random person in my place. I feel I've reached the point where I can no longer learn or develop anything as a sub. The next logical step is getting the credential, but it is a huge challenge when a sub salary isn't enough for tuition and I no longer want to be stuck in what I see more as a mental prison than I did an opportunity where opportunities no longer exist for me.
kimocartmenez is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net