ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Want to do individualized spelling
View Single Post

fiona1

Individualized Spelling
Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 AM

I use Words Their Way. It has a diagnostic test to do grouping on the specific patterns and language concepts the children need to work on. This program is researched based and very thorough. I make three groups. To properly teach the concepts each week takes time and I couldn't do all three myself in an efficient manner so one group is taught on Mondays by the Sp.Ed or Title 1 teacher. This program has students sorting words by types, focuses on word study and analysis. On Fridays, I have partners from groups test each other. This takes about twenty minutes, the same amount of time as a teacher-led test. Students are tested again in December/January, new groups made. They are tested again in June to again show progress. Great data and information to drive instruction. I used the main text book as my guide and for words along with the accompanying CD, creating a binder divided into sections by the groups. However, this summer, I purchased th individual books by type to make life a little easier for me and the Sp.Ed teacher. My binder will be for addtional or enrichment lessons.Pearson is the publisher.
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net