ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - drowning...
Thread: drowning...
View Single Post

kmrhg

4th Grade Writing
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a fourth grade teacher and I don't think I will ever have a complete handle on teaching writing. I too teach at a small Catholic school and I love it because it gives me the ability to teach writing they way I want using the best parts of different philosophies and not one prescribed method. In my classroom I use a blend of the 6 traits along with ideas from Katy Wood Ray's book Study Driven. I find that the 6 traits gives us a good starting point for the beginning of the year as we learn how to become authors, but when we transition to writing narratives I like KWR's idea of modeling writing after something we have read.

I do a memory writing each year with my students and we use different books to model our writing after. The students pick a memory to write about then after we have studied some different text, they chose which model they will follow to write their piece.

For instance: One of the books we use is When I was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant. In the text the author repeatedly starts her memories with, "When I was young in the mountains..." if students choose this model for their writing, then they would start theirs, "When I was young in 4th grade..." or "When I was young in ___________..."

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net