ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - love and logic
Thread: love and logic
View Single Post

RJean

Re: love and logic
Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 PM

I discovered love and logic when I student taught (it was used at the school as a school-wide plan) I did more reading and thought it was a great fit for me. I have just finished subbing 1.5 years (I will start as full time teacher this year!!!) and learned that the days that I gave choices and held the students responsible for their actions (according to their choices) were the best days. The days that I forgot ... or was having a bad day myself and didn't give the kids ownership were the days that were more difficult. Since I just subbed I could pretty much only give small choices (want the lights on or off? want to have your read aloud before or after recess...) so I am looking forward to creating a love and logic classroom this year.

The books I loved were "Teaching with Love and Logic" (Jim Faye) ... i think that is the basic one... and "Creating Classrooms where teachers love to teach and students love to learn" by Bob Sornson.

Also, when I used "enforceable statements" instead of commands I got a much better response.... example: instead of "You need to be quiet before I will let you go to recess" use "I will take the class to recess when it is quiet" (yeah they wanted to go to recess anyways… but this was just an example… there are MUCH better examples in the books)

Good Luck!
RJean is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net