ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Family Math Night
View Single Post

Mr. K

Re: Family Math Night
Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM

I usually do a Math O' Lanterns night closer to Halloween. Each family that attends gets a pumpkin and then they find the circumference, diameter and radius. They name their pumpkin, write its attributes, weigh it, measure its height, etc. They then post the data on a large chart and make bar graphs about the data of their choice. During the second part of the evening, they estimate and then count the seeds...another opportunity for a graph. Then they carve it geometrically. they then share either in writing or in verbal form their geometric shapes. Families love it.

I also have done a math rotation with task cards set up around the room. Families travel around the room and answer the questions. We have also made tangrams out of craft foam and completed activities using them. We do calculator races...parents against students, logic problems, facts quizzes (again parent against child) magic squares, and problem solving strategy activities. (Students share the strategies that we have been learning in class.) (Sometimes I also give out packets of state test released items so that parents can see what their child needs to know to do well.)
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net