ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Halloween Art Project Ideas
View Single Post

Sharon D. W.

Chalk Haunted House
Old 10-15-2005, 12:53 PM

I am not doing too much Halloween as I also have a student who is not allowed to participate so we are doing a Spider unit instead. I figured this would be a concern so I have decided to do Spiders this year and Bats next year and keep switching these two themes for a few years. Problem solved. I'll have a few activities and an Art craft for Halloween but the rest will be Spiders. My school is having a Halloween Fun Fair in the afternoon so we won't even have a party this year and that is fine with me.

One art project I have done in the past is Haunted House and Halloween Chalk pictures.

Using black or dark blue construction paper each student designs a scary Halloween picture using a list of things that we brainstorm prior for journal and stories anyways.

Ideas: black cats, witches, hanuted house, bats, cauldron, jack-o-lanterns, mummies, skeletons, monsters, vampires, grave stones, bones, coffins, spiders and webs... (I leave off ghosts on purpose.)

I use hairspray and spray their pics after school to prevent the chalk from smudging. The paper does curl a bit so it is a good idea to lay something on them after they dry or you can gently roll them backwards to flatten them a bit.

We make tissue ghosts and glue one on to each picture. I also picked up those shiny confetti type things at Wal-Mart last year near Halloween and there were spiders, cats, pumpkin, and Happy Halloween shapes. I gave each student 2-3 of these and they could glue them on to the picture as well.

To make the ghosts each child is given 2 tissues. Roll one up in a ball and drap the 2nd tissue over the ball. Tie string/yarn to make the head of the ghost. I have just used a thin sharpie to draw on eyes and a mouth. I have also in years past gave them googalies (eyes) thet were very small to use for their ghosts.

If I rememeber correctly we make the ghosts first and I save them in a box and then I hand them out to add to the picture after. They don't get "their" ghost back but that is just how it works out.

Happy Halloween!
sdwl
Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net