ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - nouns
Thread: nouns
View Single Post

Lilacs

Noun Activities
Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM

I use a fall bulletin board with leaves for the kids to sort into bags. Each bag has a part of speech labeled on it. I use verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives/adverbs, etc. You could do Person, place, thing.

I teach the kids a song

A noun is a person, place, or thing.
A noun is a person, A noun is a place,

Nouns are Names (Polly Wolly Doodle)
Oh, lets look around for some nameing words for persons and places and things. Oh, a noun is a name; yes a noun is a name for a person or a place or a thing. Its a noun, it's a noun, its the name of anything. Any persons, any places, anything from hats to laces, it names persons and places and things.

A bingo board for each kid. Some boxes have proper nouns and others are common nouns. They can cover a box when you say dog (common) or Mr. Ed (proper), etc.

During guided reading we select books to read. They take it back to their desk to do a Noun Hunt and write them in the correct column (person, place, or thing) (common or proper).

I also use materials from Learning resources (check out the samples on their web page). They have cute little warmups that are like Mad libs (ie. noun libs or verb libs). The kids have fun playing during centers.

I also have a car game with the rear window and license plate showing. The license plates all have two letters. If my plate has (m e) then I make a sentence. M is for a noun and e is for a verb. So I could say monsters eat big meals.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net