ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How do YOU teach multiplication?
View Single Post

1956BD

Learning Multiplication
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM

We use 100's charts and highlight numbers by skip counting by 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's, and 12's. We observe all the patterns we can after making each chart. Then we make a book of these charts and they can use them as a reference sheet for answers to multiplcation problems by counting up to the highlighted number they are looking for on the correct chart.

We draw many arrays to illustrate multiplcation problems.

We build arrays to demonstrate a multiplication problem using connecting blocks.

I read 7 x 9 = TROUBLE by Claudia Mills aloud to them. In the story the students receive an ice cream after learning all their times tables. We can not serve ice cream, but they do get a pudding cup with whip cream as a reward, plus a certificate.

We also read Each Orange Had Eight Slices. Then we make a class book following this pattern.

They memorize their 0's then take the test. They have to get 100% before taking their 1's. Then 2's, 5's, 10's, and 11,s. Then we learn the 9 using the nine's trick. Then there begins to be a lot that they already know if they reverse them. They learn their 3's, 4's, 6's, 7's, 8's, and
12's. Finally they get their pudding treat.

After that we do a mixed review of all their multiplcation facts.

Also checkout the math video on www.mathplayground.com on How Can I Learn My Times Tables?. I just found it on Pro Teacher and can't wait to share it with my students and third grade team.

Last edited by 1956BD; 10-28-2007 at 08:46 AM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net