ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Pumpkin Math
Thread: Pumpkin Math
View Single Post

Socks

Pumpkin Activities
Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

We can't celebrate Halloween so I do a Pumpkin Day instead. We start the day reading the story Pumpkin Day and making Pumpkin Pancakes (the recipe is in the book). Then we'll read Too Many Pumpkins and write about what we'd do if we had too many pumpkins. After lunch we'll read Pumpkin Soup and try some that I will have pre-made in a crock pot. Then the "real" fun begins! I'll have 4-5 pumpkins (depending on how many I can find!) and put the kids in groups. First we'll guess if the pumpkin will sink or float. They will fill out the paper that I attached (not mine, got it here last year ).

Then we'll do several estimation activities. One will be the circumference - they will cut a piece of yarn as big as they think will fit around their pumpkin. Then I'll do a real measurement and they'll compare theirs to mine. Next we'll estimate how heavy the pumpkin is. Each child will lift a 5lb. bag of potatoes, then lift their pumpkin and guess. Then we'll put the pumpkin on a scale and compare. Finally we'll estimate how many seeds are in the pumpkin and then dig them out and check! I'll have my kids put the seeds into condiment cups (ten in each cup) this should make it easier for them to count the seeds in the end! I have a sheet for this, I'll attach it in another post right under this one!

If there is still time after all that mess and clean up we'll make a pumpkin book. The students will cut out two pumpkin shapes from orange construction paper. They will staple down one side so it looks like a book. On the inside I'll have them glue goldenrod yarn to look like the stringy stuff inside real pumpkins. Then they will glue down seeds. Finally they will write a description of their pumpkin inside and out to go with their pumpkin book.

I hope this helps you out!! Let me know if something needs explained more!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pumpkin Predictions.pdf (12.4 KB, 258 views)
Socks is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net