ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Timelines?
Thread: Timelines?
View Single Post

yesteach

schoolwide timeline
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM

One of the most popular yearly events at the college I graduated from was the yearly "timeline" in the education department. I think people came from all over the school to the education building to read and add to it... it was so much fun! Not to mention some of the sarcastic comments that got added (1802 - Professor Smith joined the staff.. that sort of thing.. lol). It was HUGE, it wrapped around the entire fourth floor (skipping doorways just to start up again on the other side). It had "pre-1950" at the beginning(for those of us who were old and could go back that far!) and then at the end 1990 and beyond (as I graduated in '89). So many putting wedding dates, when babies were due, etc.

The first year I taught I decided to do one at my school with my sixth graders - so we did the same thing "before 19xx" and "after 19xx" and invited everyone to start writing - students, parents, teachers, visitors... We also did research and found "important events." We started fairly early like before 1970... twenty years prior... so parents and teachers had space to write things... was fun to see what was going on in OUR lives and what was going on in the WORLD at the same time. The kids loved it - they'd read it anytime we were in the hall - great way to keep them learning while you wait for your turn in the restroom line..

We did it for several years, and then I started teaching only math/science and it died out... but it was a fun activity when we did it!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net