ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Six Minute Solution
View Single Post

imalith

fluency
Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 AM

Fluency practice is the repeated reading of a passage. Students should not try to "race", but read the passage with prosody. Since I have sixth graders, I start fluency practice after Christmas for students that need it. I do not have students practice fluency passages if they are fluent. These students may work on Reader's Theater passages to improve their vocal expression.

I test the students fluency at the beginning of each quarter. To do this, I use three standard grade level passages. The student reads for one minute. I write down the number of words minus the errors. I start in December, so I compare results from the beginning of the first quarter. I find the correct fluency level for the student.

To practice fluency, students read the passage several times a day. They need to read precisely and correctly. They cannot read with a friend until they master the words. We choral read slowly at first. We practice other types of reading such as cloze reading, etc.

They read the same passage all week and must practice at home (if they are below grade level).

For testing and graphing, you need to just do a typical cold/hot read test. Students read "cold" with no practice and time for one minute. On Friday, after much practice they read same passage "hot" Mark each side by side on a graph cold is blue and red is hot. Obviously they will always show substantial improvment after the practice and it is very motivating to kids. The cool part is that you should start to see the bars of the blue cold reads going up. That is where the teacher is looking for improvement.

Finally, I retest again at the next quarter. Grade level students move up to reader's theater and some students move up a level, or continue to practice.

25 passages is plenty. Don't overdo fluency. It isn't real reading, as in reading for meaning. Some kids will always struggle to read fluently aloud. If they struggle with fluency, it is a sign that they will struggle with comprehension, but it isn't always an absolute.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net