ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Flips turns and slides
View Single Post

Angel Star

Re: Flips, Turns, and Slides
Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM

I did a great activity that I got out of Mailbox Magazine. The kids loved it and all of them mastered the concept after this activity!

All you need for each child is a sentence strip, and trapezoid pattern block (with a tiny piece of tape to mark one side or mark it with an X in washable marker), and a pencil.

To start, have each student demonstrate a slide by dragging the trapezoid from one end of the strip to the other, a turn by placing his fingers on the shape and rotating his wrist clockwise, and a flip by picking up the shape and turning it over.

Next, have the student return the trapezoid to the left side of the strip and trace the shape. He slides, turns, and flips the shape as desired across the sentence strip, tracing with pencil each time.

Then he trades strips with a partner. Each partner works independently to write the name of each movement across the bottom of the strip.

Now this last part I did a little differently. I didn't have them switch papers, I just had the child label their own strips as they went along. You could do it either way, depending on the level your kids are at.

Good luck and have fun! Let me know how it works out!
Angel Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net