ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 6 Traits poll
Thread: 6 Traits poll
View Single Post

mein10

Choose the highlighted trait to score
Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 PM

If you are doing a mini lesson on voice let's say, you grade on voice. If you take a piece all the way to publish---you'd grade on all of them. For a really great explanation go to the MCREL web site. That is where the top writers on Six Traits are and they have all the scoring rubrics, papers to practice scoring, etc. You'll learn a lot there. I started by researching----then bought books, then more....the book Complete Guide is truly "complete".

Keep reading books to your class and stopping to point out a trait. Like talk about Word Choice and keep a list of Strong Verbs going on a wall chart. The kids need to be infused with it. Talk it, talk it, talk it.

I begin the year with a Six Trait Writing Sundae party. We study all 7 of the traits all week--maybe two and then have a Six Trait Sundae party...we color in sundaes first, then I give them a "test"...real ice cream...

bowl--organization
spoon--conventions
cherry--presentation
whipped cream--voice
hot fudge--sentence fluency
ice cream--ideas
sprinkles--word choice

It's a kickoff to my whole writing program and it "sticks". I can't take all the credit for the idea though. I got it from a booklet a presenter gave us about five years ago.

AshelyMarie---thank you so much for the bookmarks!!! I am going to print them tomorrow and have the kids keep them in their journals to mark the page they are on!!! What a fantastic idea!!!!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net