ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Do you ever miss teaching?
View Single Post

cvt

spiritcenter
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Quote:
I welcome any suggestions you all might have for moving on and finding new opportunities.
It must be very hard to change gears when your entire identity was wrapped up in teaching. I have seen it with friends, mostly men whose career was their life and who are at a loss after they retire or are laid off and realize they are not able to find work in their field again. Their wives complain that their husbands are following them around the house like a puppy dog or just sit on the sofa and watch TV all day long.

I have found that women are often much more resilient. spiritcenter, in your case you are grieving your loss of identity, and it may take a while, but you will come out of it and realize how great life can be after teaching. When you are saying that you are looking at other options, do you mean that you are looking for another job? Some people here on the retirement board have done just that. They are using their skills in other jobs or volunteer positions. I myself spent my first two years doing a few long-term subbing stints for my colleagues who knew they could trust me, and I also did some part-time mentoring of new teachers in the district. At some point I realized that I was no longer interested in teaching and found the freedom to pursue lots of different things.

Since I retired I have traveled more than ever in my life, I have made some great new friends through the YMCA Zumba and Happy Feet dance classes, I am part of a walking group, do volunteer tutoring of foreign scholars and their spouses, attend lectures at the nearby university (I am also planning to join Osher Lifelong Learning Institute in January), I completely changed my diet and am so much healthier and fit than when I was teaching, have started writing my memoirs, am translating the memoirs of two elderly family members, and so much more.

Hang in there!
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net