ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Quiet Monitors?
Thread: Quiet Monitors?
View Single Post

Kishkumen

Old 10-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem. Everyone I've talked to simply says "don't let them talk". It wasn't until last year I realized that most people can actually filter out background distractions. I would just see students magically respond to them, yet when I set up the same procedures, it wouldn't work for me. This is because they can determine who is talking, so students who choose not to follow the rules are quickly dealt with.

This week I've tried a stopwatch, and I'll add time to their Fun Friday until I hear one voice. Sometimes they'll get two or three seconds, but sometimes they'll get a couple of minutes as we walk down the hall.

When I give the call back signal, I'll start counting how long it takes to get everyone's attention. Students have gained two or three minutes during the day, but then will cumulatively lose two or three minutes talking during instruction. But at the end of the week they'll have ten minutes of free time to play board games. Lets hope this practice keeps working.

•If the noise gets too loud, I have difficulty processing language of any kind (reading, hearing, writing) or even thinking clearly. Often a student's disruption is obvious, and I can't think clear enough to do anything.

•Whole-class instruction works well. Because things are much quieter, I can usually tell who is talking and deal with them.

•It's really tough during independent work such as partner talk, group work, and shoulder partner reading. These require students to talk, and even when I'm sitting next to a group, I cannot understand if kids are talking about the lesson. They could be discussing anything, and I'd never notice so long as they have work in front of them.

•no, I can't tell voices apart. Two or more voices become a monotonous hum.

•Rewarding silence is without merit if the students never actually get silent. I have to accept a low level of talking, because silence is not a reasonable goal.
I can guesses at students, though. I'm afraid of getting it wrong and punishing a quiet student.

•The expectations had been well-established after a month of practice, but now they're slipping.

•Students are actually fine in the morning, but in the two hours after lunch they're unresponsive. I have to give "silent reading" breaks mainly so I can have a break from the noise.

•My class is now down to 27 third-graders now that some of them have moved out. The smaller class size is making a difference.

Last edited by Kishkumen; 10-29-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net