ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Quiet Monitors?
Thread: Quiet Monitors?
View Single Post

Fenwick

Old 10-29-2017, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem. Everyone I've talked to simply says "don't let them talk". It wasn't until last year I realized that most people can actually filter out background distractions. I would just see students magically respond to them, yet when I set up the same procedures, it wouldn't work for me. This is because they can determine who is talking, so students who choose not to follow the rules are quickly dealt with. ...
No teacher is able to hear and/or see every disruption. That's not realistic. Students play many more games than there are remedies. Goal is to reduce disruption to a level where the few students who do disrupt become part of the teacher's radar. How do you know who should be on the screen? When working the crowd during guided practice consider "hook and look".

Hook and look means to approach the student's desk who has raised hand for help from the direction which, when bending down to help, affords the best view of the class. Example: Say you are cruising around in the middle of the room and a student raises hand in front row. Easiest and quickest route is to walk between aisle one and two and help student from behind, leaning in from side or back of seat. This is also the worst position in terms of management. Your back is facing the majority of the class. This is when kids think, "Great! She can't see me. Time to go for it!"

Technique is to walk around to the front of student's desk (hook) so when you bend down you are facing the class. If it's the back row you would go around behind student (opposite than front) so, again, when you bend down the class is in view. Think "Which direction should I be facing that will keep the class in view?" The "Look" part is a little trickier (the part I always forgot during training) -- After placing your bod to see most of the class start to bend over to help the student but pause half way down and raise s-l-o-w-l-y back up. Look at the class, especially any targets you suspect may be off task. I'll bet you will have 2-3 faces staring right back at you. Why? They are watching and waiting for you to be engrossed in helping the student as their signal to start goofing off. When you stand calmly back up, look and wait it throws a wrench into their plans. At this point they can either raise the anti and do something overt right in front of the teacher (not wise) or get back to work. Most will choose work. Do this a couple times and soon through your actions students won't try the out-of-sight-out-of-mind game.

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net