ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is this normal?
Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't teach middle, but I would think this is perfectly normal behavior. Doesn't mean you need to condone it.

I would think toward the next grading period. I would lay out some expectations, whether they are the ones you started with, or if you need to do some adjusting of them. I would not give extra credit to students who don't turn work in on time if I gave extra credit at all. Maybe extra credit through the period- added to each assignment (an extra problem/essay for extra credit) but none at the end. Why make things harder for yourself? After this grading period they should know whether you mean what you say, or whether they can pump you for extra. They should know they have to turn in assignments.

Good luck. I have similar problems with my 3rd graders. Not that they want extra credit. Just some of them never do anything. I have 10 kids who have given me every recess for a week and a half because they aren't turning things in. At this rate they will be with me all year, and that is not going to work. I need my recess! (Did you hear me laying on the floor kicking and screaming?) .
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net