ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is this normal?
Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post

Mshope

Ways Around It
Old 11-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I let my students know on day one that if they don't turn their work in on time three times, I will be contacting home. I have a form I have them fill out and I keep it in their "file." For some reason, this really does motivate some kids. I like that the form (google: pink slip) is in their writing. I can show parents at conferences exactly why they didn't do their work like, "I left early for track and then had hockey until 11:30 pm. I was too tired to do my make up work." Sometimes the kid will just say, "I didn't feel like doing it."

Also, when I do get the late work, I don't grade it easily or quickly. A little taste of their own medicine. I have a "zeroes not acceptable" (or zap) policy. So I might pull kids out of our study hall period to do the work. Too bad if their class was going to the gym or watching a movie. My other threat is that they can do it during lunch. I've never actually had to do that. Oddly, until this year, I never had a kid refuse to try the assignment. This year I have one who won't write or respond verbally to any assignment. I don't think he is in the right placement, so we will see if he makes it through the year.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net