ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lack Of Sub Jobs and Too Many Subs Competing
View Single Post

twin2

Maybe
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That might be the case at the school district I sub for in MD. It has been this way for several years. Last year the district implemented new elementary curriculum and drew new lines to repopulate our school. Because of these two issues, teachers just weren't taking off unless they had to. This year is much more relaxed at this school and teachers are taking off a bit more, but so many of them are only taking half days. I am a preferred sub (I choose to only work one school) and I am only work three to four days most weeks. If I do work the majority of the week it seems I usually have at one or two half days that week. Fifteen years ago, I easily subbed everyday if I wanted. When the economy was so bad it seemed everyone was suddenly out of work and wanted to be a substitute teacher. With the cutbacks so many teachers lost their jobs and began to substitute. There was an over abundance of licensed teachers right out of college not able to find jobs so they we're subbing too. It does seem to be balancing out, but not as good as I'd like.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net