ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Kishkumen

Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This isn't a new strategy. I've been doing this since the beginning of the year, expecting students to increase in speed. They haven't. It still takes 20 minutes.

Then my coach came in to show me a "new procedure" which turned out to me identical to what I had been doing all along. The only difference was the students followed her directions immediately, while I'm mostly ignored.

•My time was 30 seconds. The coach's time was about 30 seconds, because she counted slowly from ten: "ten......... niiiiine...... eight... seven.. siiiiiiix... fiiiiive........foooooouuurrrr. .................threeeeeee.... ..............................t woooooo........................ ..............one.............. ..............and..... we're done!" and she increased the pauses as students neared the deadline. I stick to 30 seconds without slowing my count, so the time is about the same.

•There are several students off-task, but I can't tell who they are. There are so many students moving, that it's impossible to pinpoint sources of noise or disruption

•The class is noisy during this time, but there is no way to enforce quiet, because it's impossible to determine who is making noise.

•I've tried competitions with time. As with all strategies, it works the first two or three times, but then become less effective after that. The students don't seem interested in competing.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net