ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Clip to ScrapBook #11

My curriculum coach came in at 3:00 to demonstrate end-of-day procedures for my third-grade class. Her procedure was nearly identical to mine. I'm baffled as to why it worked for her but takes ten minutes for me. ...
This happens in almost every school. I'm sure you have observed it: the same students act one way for one teacher and completely different for another. Yet the teachers have practically identical rules and procedures. When Fred Jones and researchers were observing in hundreds of classrooms regarding this phenomenon they were scratching their heads trying to discover why some teachers make discipline look easy while others struggle.

They kept going back to the classrooms of the teachers they termed "naturals" looking for the special technique or intervention. They saw none. "Maybe they threaten students with death the first day?" they thought. The team interviewed the naturals. They were no help. These teachers could not explain what they were doing to realize so much rule following. There were no charts, names, clips, stars, Lucky Bucks or time-out areas. In fact researchers couldn't see any visible signs of discipline taking place. These teachers were walking around the room helping students and joking. This was very aggrevating for the team. Something was going on but they couldn't find it.

After several weeks the team finally recognized "it". It was body language. It was the way the teacher stood, turned, walked and gestured that signaled to students "I mean business". In the classrooms of the teachers struggling they noted quick, rapid movement, clenched jaw, finger jabbing, arms folded across chest, quarter instead of full turns - all signaling someone upset and losing control. When these teachers were at the board and noticed disruption they turned partially around to address it. In body language they were telling students this disruption is sort of important but I'd rather be teaching. When the naturals spotted disruption the lesson came to a screeching halt. They turned all the way around with both feet and shoulders squared-up facing the problem(s). Their face was neutral, a sort of bored look (signaling calm). There was no doubt in the room instruction had stopped and the teacher was now in discipline mode. Students read it, "This is serious." Did the naturals speak? Sometimes. Most often they just stood planted, relaxed and waited. Their bodies were doing all the talking.

Consider: It is far more likely any management system works not because the system is all that fabulous but more likely due to the fundamentals it is built upon and the person using it.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.